Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Project 6.9

23K views 168 replies 33 participants last post by  farm_boy 
#1 ·
Hay im new to Powerstoke Nation. i have a project goin on, i am doin a build of my 1984 F350 with the 6.9 in it. almost everthing that i have done to this truck i have made my self everywhere from the custom built brush gard to the hitch. i dont have any pics as of right now but there will be tons. i have special plans for the engine im keepin the engine but there will be alot of modification done to it.... i have special plans for it lol:ford:

#2 ·
Awesome man! Welcome to the nation and keep us posted on updates and pics of the rig as you build it!

#4 ·
hay when i figure out how to put pics on here ill put them all on but when i do i need to do somthin different with the frontend i dont know wat it is but it just looks plain ugly to me im thinkin on buildin a differnt brush gaurd and scapin this one but i need some ideas. let me know when i get the pics on here PLEASE HELP!!!!!

#5 ·
Welcome to the Nation...easiest way is to create a photobucket account and use the links to put them directly into the reply field or select the button the looks like a moutain and says "insert image".

#6 ·
Welcome to PSN, love to see the old trucks restored. I'd hate to burst your bubble but you aren't going to get very far with modding the old 6.9L & making power out of it. Beyond a turbo & some pump work there isn't much you can do to it. You have to take the old IDIs for what they are power wise, you your after more you'll have to look at a different engine.

#7 ·
ive got a macine shop sourced down that doses head work cheap and im goin to rebuild it maybe 60 over with cut pisions that will lower the compresion and have change the bore and stroke on it to make it higher that a 7.3 so far thats wat im doin with it and i found some performance injectors and pump for it

#9 ·
partly i am im probly goin to go with a dps pump and the moose injectors or if i can find a inline 8 p pumped like off a 1155 v8 masey furgeson that got the v8 perkins in it

#13 ·
what do mean hack?
but ya i was planin on goin with the dps pumped since it is advanced more.
so far every one that i have seen not talked to might have you but everything i have seen posted is that the dps pumps are alright. but i still dont know what im goin to do bout fuel yet im probly goin to play by when and how it gets rebuilt

#12 ·
hay guys here are the pics that i promised

heres some recent pics

heres some of my flat bed when i first got it

some general maitaince

and one heack of a wireing mess

thats all for now i still got a lot but is just some of the little stuff

as a side note everything that was cut and shaped was done with a saz all and an air die cutter

wat u all think so far i still need to take some more pics of what i have done reacely but theres a lot more to get done:ford:

#15 ·
i get where your comin from about that dude im prbly goin to go a differnet route anyway

ya it sounds good on paper and ive got everything sourced down its just doin it now and it might be short lived but im just doin it cause from where im from no body and i mean no body gives these engines cridit for what they are, but ive only got my pumped turned up about 2 1/2 flats and i pull between 8 and 10 ton.... yes ton and its not overloadin the engine to where it cant doin anything, but i had one guy who seen hauling 8 rounds bales that wieghed every bit of 2 toon a piece ( i know this because dads hydralic hoses on his front bucket for the tractor pop out of there ports at 2 ton) plus what ever the old house trailer frame wieghed whitch it wasnt light by no means. so lets put i like that i had atleast 9 ton on that load and i could have put on my flatbed if need to. but poeple kinda shut up after and left my truck alone after that. but im probly goin to be like this since they make there power at around 1800 ill be happy if i get a bout 600 ft lb tq out of it ya the horse would be nice to..... ill tell ya what ill post on here what im goin to do with the engine and ill see what ya say bout it. and hay i know you r not truin to be a dick or anything i get it all the time from poeple so your gona hurt my feelins any.

#16 ·
allright heres the plans

oh lets start out with that the engine is a 84 it is goin to have cut low comp pistons, havent decided on the twin turbos yet ported and polished 7.3 heads with fire rings and o rings drilled and taped for 120 hp 12v cummins injectors 40 or 60 lb valve and governor springs, 60 over engine rebiuld on everything, water meth, banks tecnicooler for a 99 psd with 3.5 boost tubes, either a custom built factory turbo 7.3 pump or a in lime 8 p pump off a v8 perkins that will be modded, air dog 2 200, custom ground cam, raised displacement above a 7.3, srtight 14 or 15.1 copresion, with fully equiped gages, and a few other trade secrets.

#19 ·
Hey farm boy. you are touching your self. You are jut going to be throwing $$ in a hole. If you are looking to make any real power, a engine transplant is necessary.

As for having you pump turned up, i didnt see a EGT gauge.

I guess you cant read, cus CAT explained the reasons behind why an IDI SUCK!!

If you go over to OILBURNERS, they will tell you anything is possible, and will watch you throw your money down the toilet trying to do so, in hopes of trying to see a IDI beyond 300HP

#25 ·
Your not going to proove anyone wrong, they have been there done that with the dead platform... You are wasting you're time and alot of money to make less power than a stock injector powerstroke. Also something that bothers me trying to read your posts, learn some spelling and punctuation please

#26 ·
The biggest problem is that the IDI came out in 1983, in the last 28 years there have been a hand full of IDIs touch 300hp & they were all short lived. If it could have been done reliably it would have been done by someone by now.

#27 ·
With the money your throwing at this you could do a 12valve swap and still have money to fix it up. Then you would have a strong proven platform with endlesss upgrades. And wouldn't have to get into all the machining work

#31 ·
you know i know that i am more than likely thowing money down in to a deep dark hole and i was goin to do a cummins swap but i cant find hide nor hair of one at a reasoable price and i dont realy care where its at ill go and it if could find one.

#32 ·
now can we all be done with all this BS and get back to the project side of this i mean come on the first three and now probly four pages of this is all of us bickering back and forth so get over it its my truck and ill do with it as i please. ya mine may not be as good as a project as bo jones (who of witch is one of my good friends) but we all had to start out somewhere.

#57 ·
now can we all be done with all this BS and get back to the project side of this i mean come on the first what 6 7 pages of this is all of us bickering back and forth

there is a reason i am quoting my mself

i get it put a 12 valve in it got it found one waiting for money in the mean time im going to work on my rig to get all the body and fabing done all the rest of ya wana keep in touch good.

i finished gettin my front end fixed this weekend that why it was a long night. i got it done in time to haul more hay in ill get a pic of that on here soon. next in line is to finish my headache rack, my brushguard, get the back of my bed finished and hang all of my lights on it.

ive got a deadline for this to be wraped up besides doin a engine and trany swap and it is in augest in time for schied's diesel extravaganza.

#35 ·
im realy lookin for one under 1000 or less but thats why i cant find one one all the ones i have found are 1500 on more and for 1500 i can buy 2 or 3 of my trucks

#38 ·
That's funny, I don't care who you are.

#43 · (Edited)
Im not trying to be an a$$hole, but if you cant afford $1500-2000 for a decent 12v, how in the he!! are you gonna afford all that machine work on your 6.9 not to mention all the other parts you have listed? Save up and drop a 12v in it, you could leave the cummins stock and still make more power and last longer than you ever would with that 6.9. These guys on here ain't trying to bust your balls, they're just trying to save you some $ cuz they already know your build WONT WORK

#46 ·
Im not trying to be an a$, but if you cant afford $1500-2000 for a decent 12v, how in the he!! are you gonna afford all that machine work on your 6.9 not to mention all the other parts you have listed? Save up and drop a 12v in it, you could leave the cummins stock and still make more power and last longer than you ever would with that 6.9. These guys on here ain't trying to bust your balls, they're just trying to save you some $ cuz they already know your build WONT WORK
its a work in progess right now im just tryin to keep it runnin till i get my parts truck this week end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.