Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What's after a Powermax

7K views 75 replies 26 participants last post by  stroke of luck 
#1 ·
Say, hypothetically, I wanted to get a little more juice outta my truck but stay with my 190's. I have a powermax and really like it but knowing me, I think I'd eventually like to bump the power a little more (fuel only). What would the next step up as far as turbos go?

#5 ·
That it spools just as well if not better than a set of twins.

We will see what it proves now that Danny will have a properly running truck shortly

#8 ·
Twins. :evil

And sell me the PowerMax.

#9 ·
do you tow lots, do you drive your truck everyday, if you need the truck to run like stock and reliable, just put the nos bottle on for that time or two you want more

#15 ·
I'm in the same situation. 190s max out the powermax pretty quick. I'm going to do transmission and compounds or procharger.

But how much power diffrence would a 64 non vgt make?

#20 ·
I think I'd go with a small set of twins for your truck. I know those 190's flow a lot of fuel with the larger nozzles. If your handy with the welder, build your own.... ******* style. I wonder how the Powermax would work in a set of twins with an S475 and an exteranl gate? I know the Powermax has to have stronger internals than the stock VGT turbos have. Hmmmmmm....

-French

#21 ·
well that sounds good....but i can't weld and I think it would cost a bunch to pay someone to fabricate. how much do those 475's go for anyways?

so would the next step for a single be a 64? where are you powerwise strokin?

#22 ·
Nate did 617rwhp with a single 64/70 and 225s. I would imagine you could get close to that with the 190s also.

#34 ·
my buddy had 175 injectors with a vgtss on an extended cab short bed 4x4 and would run 13.5's all day. We changed to nates old 62/70 and he went down to consistant 13.2, That truck pulls way harder top end wise. Same injectors in it.

#40 ·
what about modding my stock or powermax turbo? is it as simple as changing out turbine/compressor wheels and exhaust housing or would I be better off just sending it to Elite/II? OR just buy a new one all together

#41 ·
Stoked to see this thread. Lately I've been trying to decide which injectors/turbo combo to go with so that I can hopefully have something remotely close to a 600hp dd. I was set on the powermax/190s for a bit, but from what I've seen that won't get me there.

I see a couple guys here talking about running non vgt setups (single). Can that still be streetable and do light towing or is it out of the question ?

#43 ·
See, thats why I started considering 225's and a different turbo but I don't want it to render my truck useless for anything but dyno runs and having people laugh at it at the track. I'm not asking for towing super heavy, but if good tuning and proper supporting mods could make that work, then I'm all about it.

#49 ·
I did 490/945 on the dyno with my set up but it wasn't a very good run. Hp calculator says 560hp, who knows.

My injectors are closer to 200cc tho. I think Ryan said 196cc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.