Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HIDs on and OBS

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  97powerstroke7.3 
#1 ·
Guys, I just got my digital HID kit from retro solutions. Was an easy install but I am wondering what you guys have done to aim them. I dont have stock headlights, I have the clear lens "euro" style. The beam pattern is wide V shape on low beam and narrower on high. Bright as hell, but just not a very nice beam. I am wondering if I need to adjust my side to side aiming? Thanks!

#2 ·
Don't know what your asking.. I have the same lens and same wide V shape low beam, but my high is just scattered light basically..
So if your not centered go for it, But I don't think its going to help the beam?

One day projectors!, until then aim them low :)

pics?

#3 ·
Here is a little info on why your having a problem.

The gas discharge light source is 2.5 times as bright as the halogen bulb and does not focus correctly within the headlamp, as the headlamp was not designed for this bulb. This creates excessive glare.

The light sources in any lamp must be precisely placed at the design focal point. The lens/reflector assembly is computer designed for the shape of the light source. You cannot retrofit a standard HID capsule with the H1, H3, H4, H7 or 9000 h13 series mounting hardware and precisely position the light source because the design of the bulb base is not precise enough. A lamp designed for a D2S capsule has a precision machined capsule holder, not a stamped steel or molded plastic one.

The light source of an HID is a totally different shape than the light source of a filament bulb. The source for a halogen bulb is an axial filament with a length and a width. The source of a D2S, or D2R HID Capsule is a globular point. Want to see how precise a filament has to be placed? Take a look at the two filaments in an H4 bulb and see how close they are – that’s all the difference between a high beam and a low beam pattern. Now take a look at a 9004 or 9007, H13 etc – the two filaments are right next to each other. The difference between a high and a low beam is fractions of a millimeter.

Another problem you are going to have is the wavelength of the light output is a short wavelength – which means it dazzles and diffracts much more than the warmer, longer wavelength of a halogen source. One of the reasons gas discharge technology is only on high-end cars is that most are now going to a “self-leveling” system for the headlamps to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic in acceleration situations and when cresting a hill. You won’t have this and the risk that you will dazzle oncoming traffic is enhanced because you don’t.

#5 ·
I have HID's with the euro style lense too....What Cary is saying is true. You can piddle with bulb placement a little bit, but not enough to do much. My lights exhibit the exact same pattern, wide v on low narrow on high. I have been able to adjust them down enough to keep oncoming traffic from flashing me, but cars I drive behind don't like me much. I am tempted to go back to halogens and throw the HID's in the stang....it doesn't see too much night driving.

#6 ·
I knew that the HIDs were going to be different from a regular halogen. but given there popularity, I didnt think they would be this bad. I most likely will just put my silverstar bulbs back in and keep looking for some sort of driving lights.

#7 ·
has any body tried retro-fit Projectors in our lens ?

I have the same issue, I find my self driving 5 or so car lengths behind the person in front of me, especially with the trailer, I Now bring a wrench with me just for adjusting headlights when I pick up the trailer

Sadly you guys got me thinking about how annoyed I am when I get highbeam'ed I wonder how many people think I have mine on..

#8 ·
has any body tried retro-fit Projectors in our lens ?QUOTE]

I've wondered how that would work. Retro Solutions has some DIY options or I think they'll modify the headlight for you. Might be worth a try?

#9 ·
#10 ·
There is a guy on here that has them. I have been bugging him for pictures for awhile now. Personally, I think they look kinda cheap. I also heard you can't run HIDs in a projector because it will melt the plastic.

#11 ·
yea they are good lights i have been looking at getting them for a while. and i talked to a guy from retro resolutions and he said you can run HIDs but u have to run the 35w instead of the 55w, because the light is so inntense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.