Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

looking to lift the X

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  stroked x 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 7.3 excursion 4x4 eb edition. I'm looking at the 10inch bds kit cause I want to lift it ten inches and that's the only company I can find on internet with that size lift. Is this a good kit or are there others that I haven't found. I tow a lil boat and ski's at most a single car hauler. I daily it for work 5 mile drive and 5 mile back home. Will this kit holf up to minor off road when it snows to get places or no thanks guys for input

#2 ·
How much are they asking for their kit? I am also looking fo a 10" kit for my Ex.

#3 ·
#5 ·
ya one up off road does for 5-10k for coil over kits they dont sell leaf springs ive called there supplier and for a 10-12 lift its 10k im not paying 10k lol

#7 ·
if i had the money its get ouor but out of my price range icon makes a 7 max for excursion and if i bought 3inch blocks i have to get more custom work dont idk i guess ill keep searching or save up for one up off roads nice system lol

#9 ·
anyone have a one up off road coil kit on there truck or excursion and how do you like it

#10 ·
ICON does a 11" for a Ex. It is thier 10" SD kit. The ride will be much better than the BDS. It also includes the crossover steering as anything over 8" shouild really have that. I ran thier 12.5 on my Ex and it rode fantastic.
ICON SD 10.5

#11 ·
How much was the kit so from icon if I order for my x its the super duty kit?

#13 ·
As far as lifts go you can put a SD lift from a 00-04 on the X. Only small changes really. But PM Cary and talk it over with him. A SD kit will be 1" higher for the X.

BTW what size tires are you looking to clear with this much lift. Personally I would choose to do some small amount of fender trimming and go a bit lower.

#14 ·
I have the icon lift on my truck... its the 7" springs and the 4" hanger/shackle system with crossover and a traction block... IMO for a truck on 40's it rides exceptional..

#15 ·
i want to run 40's and been told a 8 can do it with cut out fenders which i want to do but others say wont work i need a 12 inch lift to be able to turn so not sure yet guess well find out after i cut fenders

#16 ·
If you are gonna cut fenders then why go that high to begin with as its entirely unnecessary.

You could fit them with only a 4" lift and no rubbing

You have two choices with cutting well three or maybe 4. LOL

You can cut and have the fender lip re-rolled. BTW can anyone give me an idea of a price on something like that PLEASE.

You can run Bushwacker cut out flares $500 for 4

You can have custom flares made $$$$$$

You can go very basic and make the cuts very clean and smooth put a sealer on the exposed metal and run a edge strip over it. $30-50

#17 ·
Check dfuser I think he had a finder roller he rents if not him one of the vendors on here has one that rents it.....

#18 ·
How hard is it to roll them. I am very good at researching just about anything on the net and when I try this I get almost all that are taking an existing factory lip and rolling the 90 degree edge up more toward a 180 so the tire does not rub it. When what I need is a flat edge that needs to be rolled to a factory edge of course more would be fine as well. I did not think it woudl be the same as turning a 90 on flat sheet that has a curved cut would take relieving so it would not crease I would think? I could be wrong on this but its what I thought. Either way I have not been able to find a how to or youtube video on it where its was done like what we would be doing. It was either how I said above or was creating a entirely new fender including shaping and flare in the sheet metal itself.

What I am thinking is I woudl like to make a cut needed then look at it with tires mounted without flare and then with the flares temp setup there to see which look I prefer. Then make the choice. I know worst case I do the flares and down the road want them off I can take them off have the edge rolled and screw holes filled and panel resprayed. This being a Excursion the rear is not some easy bed swap. Given that I am putting a bit more work into this than would be normal.

03Excurision,

I apologize for the hijack. I have been looking for this info for some time. If it goes past a answer to my question I will take it to my own thread or to PMs. Unless this is of interest to you as well.

Thanks

Tim

#20 ·
They are not for the X you need to choose the ones for the super duty long bed. Take a look at the relationship of your rear wheel wells to the rear doors and you will see why they were not so quick to offer flares. The thing is they could if they wanted to. They did it with the Jeep Cherokees where the flare actual has a small second piece that attaches to the door. Fact is the number of Excursion are low compared to most all other vehicles and they requires a more in depth flare design so they just did not do it.

But there is no reason you can not do what they did not finish. Their fronts fit exactly the same as on all super duties as we all have the same front clip. For the rear you do the cuts following the template for the rear staying to the min size. It will stop short of the door framing. Then with the door open temporarily hang the flare. Now scribe your line on the back of the flare following the door edge. It shoudl be a fairly striaght cut. Now you just have to attach that small piece once cut. Use the same 3m tape used to hold our stock flares etc on. Attach the main flare as normal. You will want to leave a small gap between the two piece when you attach the door section. This will allow for any twisting of the body which does happen with off camber driving. you do not want to two sides of the flares to bind and cause one to pop.

I already have flares and this is the next part of my project after I wrap up the last things on the engine upgrades I made.

This has been done a few X already and as I understand it is how its done.

The other way without flares is to make the cuts about 3/4" shorter than needed and roll and new factory style lip. It will just have the appearance of a larger well opening and still fit the larger tires. With out the flares. It comes down to what look you want and also what laws you may have regarding exposed tread. Many places require wheel flares for exposed tread over a certain amount.

The flares do look good and give it a tougher look. More like a 4x4 off road look. The rolled wells give more of a street look with smooth lines etc.. You will have to deal with paint chips with out flares and constant dirty panels.

Its all a choice.

Now if I really had the time and was willing to dig in and make sure where all the rear AC lines and parts air box etc were all at the best way would likely to be to more the whole wheel well rearward. Use the facoty front line as the finish point forward and then do all your cutting from that corner reaward. Then relocate the axle rearward. The cut outs will just clear the edge of the door so no cutting. But while it will give the best look for flare and give you something very one off custom it will cost you in work. Axle relocation means drive shaft lengthening. Leaf spring mount relocation or use a offset leaf. Not sure on what work would be done if any for the inner liner work.

I saw one X setup like above and it looked good but its the most work.

That's all I got as I still have to actual do the work. The front is a no brainer though.

#21 ·
i have the icon lift in my truck, i got it back when they were still donahoe racing, its a decent kit, i would go with the one up offroad or call truck toyz and they can help you. the icon lift i have had few problems, broke a leaf on the spring, shock broke, and i dont even go offroad, my truck is a pavement princess. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.