Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rear lockers, which one.

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Dtm030 
#1 ·
I'm not looking to do any hardcore offroading but I need a limited slip or locker in the back. It's for winter mostly, as this thing spins way to easy. I don't want the trac-loc with the clutches. Maybe something like a Truetrac? Or should I go ARB. I don't want ratcheting going around turns either.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance. Truck is a 01 F250 SRW.
:psn:

#2 ·
Whn my factory posi unit goes I will be putting in a TrueTrac

#4 ·
Gotta go for the truetrac if you want something that will not fail or make noises. The ARB is a full on locker and has air lines and their air compressor is crap. They just aren't as reliable and you really wouldn't drive with it turned on. You would drive with it off normally and turn it on when the roads are real bad or when you get stuck.

With the truetrac you just install it and forget about it because its a great LSD.

I used to sell both and used both and I much prefer the Detroit products as this is their specialty.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
For snow, I say go ARB. Since I have had mine installed, I have noticed much more predictability with the back end. I mostly drive unlocked and hit a switch to immediately lock when needed.

#8 ·
I am a little confused on this. Is the tru trac a locking rear diff like the arb. I am looking to do the same thing because I am in the mud a pretty good bit from oct to feb. What would be the advantage of the tru trac over the arb or vice versa. Not trying to hijack your thread taterthedog but i have similiar questions.

#10 ·
Wow! That's an awesome video to explain it.

Basically its an Awesome Limited Slip Differential.
The ARB locker is a full time Differential. Doesn't shift power to different sides of the axle like the true trac does so it (the ARB) is basically locked all the time and if you drove with it all the time it would drive you mad. An on-road differential should unlock while turning like that video shows but %'s on each side.

The other thing you can do with true tracs if you get stuck is, apply some brake (just a small amount) as you apply the gas and it will lock the differential up and spin both wheels together. This is amazing to watch. The US military used this type of set up in the H1 hummers. So you can really make it work like a full time locker like the ARB if you want in some situations.

#11 ·
I was doing some reading and it looks like the eaton e lockeris a pretty good locker. Anyone have any real world experience with it.

#14 ·
i know with my true trac it never missed a beat locking up and it would stay locked 100% untill you let off the throttle no matter if you were going 5 mph or doing 4th gear burnouts it would be locked up. I will buy one for my new truck one of these days

#16 ·
the way i see it is the air lockers and electric lockers is more stuff to potentially fail easier when you need it. its to easy to cut an air line or wire running down to your axles

#18 ·
My Rubicon had factory air lockers and they worked great. I was just looking for something that worked and was as simple as possible

#19 ·
The eaton locker will do just fine. ARB while being a "full time" locker, you have to have accessories to run them. While you can use the ARB's on a daily driver, you wouldn't run them all the time, only when needed. With the Eaton set up, you just drive.

#20 ·
Isnt the Eaton e locker the same basically as the air locker. You just flip a switch when you need to lock up the rear end.

#21 · (Edited)
The eaton e locker is similar but better as the ARB lockers have a higher failure rate because of all the other pieces in the puzzle. The ARB is not a bad locker but I know from experience with them I wouldn't rely on them. The eaton E locker would be my choice for a full time locker but I have never used one myself.

#22 ·
ARB isn't a full time locker, it is a selectable locker. When not presurized, it is open. E Locker is also open when not energized.

I had an on-board air setup before I did ARBs f&r, so it was a no-brainer when I NEEDED to replace the factory rear diff.

#23 ·
Yes it should called a selectable locker. I was referring to it as "full-time" only for the fact that it is when turned on. But yes the most correct term would be "selectable".

Since you are not using an ARB compressor you have eliminated the majority of the problems with it. That was it's biggest downfall as it had massive failure rates, although I have had times where I had been in the desert and hit the switch and listened to the compressor run and nothing happen due to leaks in the lines.

When the are working they are great. Nothing against them at all. If I bought a truck with one in the back I wouldn't take it out. But I would if there was one in the front due to hard steering, unless I was doing some serious off-roading. To each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.