Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4L Fast??? WTF!!!!

39K views 71 replies 28 participants last post by  jdiesel_us 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am fairly new to the Diesel motors, I've driven gas motors all my life up until 4 months ago. I bought a 2009 :ford: F-250 Super Duty Lariat CC/SWB. I was driving a 2008 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 prior to this. I bought the truck for two reasons, 1) was for work, so I can idle the truck on Land Rig sites and 2) for better MPG. Well it fell short of both expectations!!! Because of the stupid dpf, you can’t idle the truck too long or from what I think I’ve heard it can cause a lot of problems later on and the MPG from the lie-o-meter has been at 9.5 – 10.3 MPG/City and 13.7 to 15.2 MPG/Hwy.

Another thing about this truck, is that I saw all the proclaimed hp & Torque this truck produced, which was a lot more then my Titan, but it seems to fall short of its rated hp. This truck is Stock, from the tires to the engine, I did nothing to the truck and I bought it used. Unofficially raced on the street from a light,
05 Ford F250 :eek:wned: :bowfast: (this was Load182 truck BTW)
Honda S200 :eek:wned:
Honda Accord (4 cylinder):eek:wned:
01 Chevy 2500 Diesel :eek:wned: (this is the only time I had anything modified, I had an S&B Cold Air Intake)

All these are very bad loses, at least 3-4 car lengths or more. Nothing I did, boosted, straight jump off the light any of it helped. I am very disappointed to say the least as to the lack there of a hp this 9K truck has. I'm not expecting it to fly down the road like my Titan did, but I did expect a lot more out of it then this, I mean I can’t even beat a 4 cylinder car, C’mon MAN!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, I got on :psn: to learn more about this truck and to mainly see if I can improve at least MPG and hp, First off I will say this forum is very informative and helpful. After reading and reading about, tuners and intakes, exhausts, EGR’s and so on. I decided to shell out the $2000 to get this truck up and running. I’ve decided to get the H&S Mini Maxx, Flo-Pro CAT/DPF Delete Pipe, KEM Performance tunes (plan on running the 345 as a DD) and the S&B Cold Air Intake. I have only installed the S&B Cold Air Intake so far, but I am hoping to have everything else tomorrow.

So this I guess is really to vent about the lack of performance and MPG, but also to get your insight on if all this will help this truck not fall flat on its face anymore. Thanks for listening.

See less See more
#3 ·
The tuner will change your outcome in those races 4x4 boost launch cant be touched by the cars you listed. Itll be hard to keep off the skinny peddle when theres a ricer next to you. Just power up the aux 4 if you got those switches and you can idle as long as you want.

#7 ·
I do have the uplifter switches in my truck. What does that do? Is there a write up on how to do it also?

#8 ·
If you wanna go really fast on stock trans you can always get an SCT Livewire and have Erics tunes which are the fastest along with KEM performance tunes on the same tuner.. You have what i would consider the two best tuners on one programmer.. Also, give Aaron or Gabe a shout at dpfdeletekits.com they will be glad to answer any and all questions..

#11 ·
Thanks, but by chance where you out at Office Depot the night some of you PSN got together?

#13 ·
Man I got an 05 Titan as well. I just gave the truck to my son for his 16th birthday and I have been worried everyday cuz of the speed that Titan has..with that being said I bought my 08 250 about a month or so ago, to have a ride since I gave my truck to my son. I bought the diesel for the same reasons as you almost identical.. I also had same thoughts after buying it, slow, ####ty fuel, ect.. After cold air, sct, with tunes from Eric @idp, 5 i'n exhaust I'm totally SHOCKED!!! Man it is un believable, you will be scratching your head after you drive this new truck.. And believe me your Titan will feel slow after theses small modifications!!!!

#17 ·
Boy I sure hope so!!! I did love driving my Titan and if all this will make it better I will enjoy everything about this truck more then the Titan.

you should also under stand the mods can void your warranty, if you have problems not saying your going to.
You should put the truck back to stock i mean stock. Give them no reason to look extra, the mods you got are a some great products.
One more thing you should change your own oil or put the truck back stock to get it serviced.
I would tell you the same thing if we was talking about your old titan.
Oh welcome to the nation.
Thanks, The PSN has served me well so far. I understand this will void my warrenty, I plan on hopefully not having to take it to get serviced. If I do, thanks for the heads up on getting it back to complete stock.

Don't mean to sound stupid, but who is or what is "John Force"? LOL

#14 ·
you should also under stand the mods can void your warranty, if you have problems not saying your going to.
You should put the truck back to stock i mean stock. Give them no reason to look extra, the mods you got are a some great products.
One more thing you should change your own oil or put the truck back stock to get it serviced.
I would tell you the same thing if we was talking about your old titan.
Oh welcome to the nation.

#16 ·
Almost the same situation as the OP. I still have my Titan but want to trade for a 6.4 Powerstroke mainly for the hp potential. My Titan is modded a little: AEM cai, Superchips tuner, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Tru Trac lsd, Transgo shift kit... I want the performance of a car but I need a truck! I knew nothing about those 6.4 until two months ago when I came across an old issue of Diesel Power magazine. Now I want a 6.4 real bad!

#21 ·
Well that is probably why I never heard of him....I don't watch drag racing or keep up with it at all!!! :doh:

#22 ·
I don't listen to rap, but I know who marshall mathers is...I thought Force was a big icon(multiple championships, commercials, etc.). If you ever heard him talk after a race, you would never forget who he is lol.

#26 ·
Not sure what you expected out of a bone stock 8800lbs truck?

#32 ·
No just the 30.5 gal stock tank.

holy sh!t...your truck weighs that much!? CCLB?
Its a CCSB, tools, 38's and lift added a lot of weight but yeah last time I had it on a scale it was 8800.

#36 ·
I shelled out the $2000 to get this truck up and running. I’ve decided to get the H&S Mini Maxx, Flo-Pro CAT/DPF Delete Pipe, KEM Performance tunes (plan on running the 345 as a DD) and the S&B Cold Air Intake. I have only installed the S&B Cold Air Intake so far, but I am hoping to have everything else tomorrow.
Yea so, it didn't come in...It's been 7 days since I placed the order, I mean I know UPS stands for "Usally Pretty Slow" but C'mon WTF!!!

#37 ·
who did you order from?

#38 ·
KEM Preformance. I'm calling Muj today and see whats up!

#39 ·
Ok, so I finally got everything in, I installed everything on my truck and loaded what I think is KEM 345 (Doesn't say what it is on the mini maxx but Hot, power level). I took it for a run down the runway, with a 4x4 launch.....and all I can say is....

HOLLY HORSE $H!t....I WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT MUCH G-FORCE!!!!! I can pretty sure I left my stomach in the back seat when I took off.

I like, I really, really like!!! KEM Preformance is the man. They will be getting more business from me and others that I know who own 6.4L.

Oh and on a side note....John Force will want to drag race my truck now!!! LOL

#41 ·
Well it came with two SD cards, one was in the Mini Maxx and the other was in the box. Both of them, when loaded, say "No Power, Mild, Wild, Hot" Nothing says 345....:shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.