Is there really money in trailer dump work? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > The Nation's Hangout > General Questions & Discussion
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Is there really money in trailer dump work?

The more and more I've been looking around latley, there is alot of people running trailer dumps. Im from Mass and I just wanted to see really is their money in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: Is there really money in trailer dump work?

bump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
irontx25
I Just Break Stuff
Member's Gallery

My nieghbor has one. He has guys go around and pick up auto cores. I guess he does alright.Its not his day job though.
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Built at Tranny
GoGo Direct Solenoid
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Im talking like the guys hauling gravel and asphalt, some of them have sweet rigs for sure.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 AM
GreenMachine
College=Broke as f*ck
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to GreenMachine

I've noticed a lot of custom rigs running down here also. Doesn't seem like there is enough room for profit in the hourly rates being paid. IDK

Mom's:
2002 Excursion Limited Ultimate 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
New springs all around. 4"blocks in the rear.
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar,Superchips
Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
davey99ps
Davey B
Member's Gallery

Are you asking about like a maxxi-dump that you pull behind your truck, or a semi with a dump trailer?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

Well it all depends on what you have for work. We have one and only used it a total of 1 month last summer. A lot of guys from mass haul waste (trash) up to norrigwalk (sp) maine to the landfill. If you could get a salt contract or something like that in the winter it would not be to bad. But it's just like any trucking it has its good weeks and bad weeks. The key is being diversified and being able to haul what ever people want you to haul.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 AM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I see the same thing around here seems like there are a lot of dump trailers running around, but a lot of them I see are the bigger outfits like PA Landers, Lopes and Childs.

Ones I have noticed with all the decked out custom trucks are the "Contaminated Soils" guys, like SRS (beautiful show quality fleet) and these guys, Clean Slate Environmental, Inc.

Could probably be quick easy money now with snow removal out of Boston and sand/salt hauling but totally a seasonal thing and probably tricky to get your foot in the door at this point.
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 AM
strokingkid1392
M.O.E.
Member's Gallery

yea theres money, the company my dad n me use to work for P.A.landers u might of heard of them, he use to hire like ten trails n ten tri axles a summer for paving, this was back when we were a bada$$ company, u just gotta get the right connection and find where the most money is
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Bryrylan
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Alot of that to is people keeping there equipment busy doing sub work, I dont know to many people that make a living off just that.

Kw w900B with a smaller stack than most pick ups
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
look the word dodge up in any dictionary. it means "to avoid."
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Like Id like to be able to either have a tri axle or trailer dump a triaxle would be better at least here because id be flexible enough to plow snow for the state in the down time like right now of the year.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

You probably would make almost as much money with a tri axle dump truck as you would a tractor and a trailer. When you figure in less tires, less insurance, less registration fee's and if you get a good spec tri axle you could always take the body off and and put a fifth wheel on it and find a trailer to pull.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottfarms View Post
You probably would make almost as much money with a tri axle dump truck as you would a tractor and a trailer. When you figure in less tires, less insurance, less registration fee's and if you get a good spec tri axle you could always take the body off and and put a fifth wheel on it and find a trailer to pull.
Exactly and seems alittle cheaper to get into a triaxle then a tractor and dump trailer, although you can haul different setups but a triaxle you can manuver in tighter areas, plow snow, and haul really anything.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96strokerbp View Post
Exactly and seems alittle cheaper to get into a triaxle then a tractor and dump trailer, although you can haul different setups but a triaxle you can manuver in tighter areas, plow snow, and haul really anything.
We used to do all trailer truck work, now we do 75% dump truck work in the summer, and like I said our dump trailer only worked a total of a month this past summer. We had mostly Pete's, 1 KW (short duration) and when trailer trucking started slowing down we thought of turning one of the day cabs into a dump truck but ended up buying a Sterling tri axle all set up for a reasonable price, now we have 3 Sterling tri axles and only 2 trailer trucks. Still have a 89 FORD LTL 9000 tri axle, made over from a roll off truck. Amazing how in about 5 years time we went from 6 trailer trucks one dump truck to 4 dumps and 2 trailer trucks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
We used to do all trailer truck work, now we do 75% dump truck work in the summer, and like I said our dump trailer only worked a total of a month this past summer. We had mostly Pete's, 1 KW (short duration) and when trailer trucking started slowing down we thought of turning one of the day cabs into a dump truck but ended up buying a Sterling tri axle all set up for a reasonable price, now we have 3 Sterling tri axles and only 2 trailer trucks. Still have a 89 FORD LTL 9000 tri axle, made over from a roll off truck. Amazing how in about 5 years time we went from 6 trailer trucks one dump truck to 4 dumps and 2 trailer trucks.
Sounds like its all about being flexible and doing what you can, like i wouldnt want to start out with a brand new truck, no way. Who did you normally work for?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

All private contractors, we used to haul primarily round wood and chips and move equipment. Used to do some tri axle dry van work hauling paper, and did do some flat bed work for a while, plywood/lumber south logs back.
But your right, it's all about being able to do what people/company's/contractors want. Being tied to only being able to do one thing is not a good situation in. Old saying, never put all your irons in one fire. Worked for my father and it's working for me.
Times get hard money gets tight fuel bills keep coming in things break down but we always seem to make it threw. The thing that people don't sometimes understand is when things get tight they are really temped to take "cheap" freight and way under cut other people pricing they are not only hurting themselves but also driving the already low rates even lower.
Here's an example guy hauls pavement all summer for $60 an hour (tri axle dump truck) for a company, he has no work for the winter since he has just one truck offers they truck to them for snow removal in the parking lots the paving company plows in the winter for $45 bucks an hour, $15 bucks and hour less, same truck burning the same fuel same insurance same reg...Makes a lot of sence now keep in mind that they used a few other trucks and payed them the $60 an hour to do the same work he said he could to for $45, and now they only want to pay $45 pr/hr in the winter. You can see what I'm trying to say. Sorry for the long post that turned into a rant

-Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Oh its fine by the way but I see what your saying 60 dollars an hour sounds good but when you factor fuel, registration and insurance you still makeout decent but not really. Did you ever get paid by the trip seem like it would work out better in a way though.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 AM
davey99ps
Davey B
Member's Gallery

If you guys are only getting $60 an hr I feel sorry for you. Oue trucks wont even go out if the rate is under $72hr, usually the rate is closer to $85 an hr. 1 difference for us though is were using qaud axle dump trucks, we also have 3 otr trucks with dump trailers that do just fine to. In the end, its all on what kind of connections you have for work
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

When we hauled wood/chips and van and flat bed it was all trip pay.
$60 bucks an hour here is pretty decent for a tri axle, since most company's are only paying $55 up here.
But the rates you talk about Davey99PS are about right for one more axle. about $15 more pr/hr pr axle. So really we are not as bad off you think. 10 wheelers make $42-47 pr hour, tri axles are $55-60,(around my area) and your saying a quad axle is say 72-80. So seems to me it's on track. We have run OTR flat bed, OTR box and OTR specialized (over size) and done well, better with the specialized then the others, but really we do just as well local.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:41 AM
strokingkid1392
M.O.E.
Member's Gallery

you can plow with a tractor, a couple of drivers said it was actually easier than a tri-axle
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokingkid1392 View Post
you can plow with a tractor, a couple of drivers said it was actually easier than a tri-axle
They must of had sanders on them, how would that be fun with no weight on your drive axles.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

We used to have a old bobtail weight around the shop, can't remember what happened to it, But it was a 5 foot long 4 foot wide and 4 foot tall hunk on concrete that had a 1 inch steal plate that the crete was poured into Then had a "king pin" welded to the bottom to hook into the fifth wheel, couple chains to stabilize it and there was plenty of weight to do what you needed. Used it on a old yard truck in the woods for helping pull trucks up hills and hold em back going back down. My father had done this, I would have to assume that on the steel plate it must have had tab's welded onto the crete side to give the crete something to crab onto.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
We used to have a old bobtail weight around the shop, can't remember what happened to it, But it was a 5 foot long 4 foot wide and 4 foot tall hunk on concrete that had a 1 inch steal plate that the crete was poured into Then had a "king pin" welded to the bottom to hook into the fifth wheel, couple chains to stabilize it and there was plenty of weight to do what you needed. Used it on a old yard truck in the woods for helping pull trucks up hills and hold em back going back down. My father had done this, I would have to assume that on the steel plate it must have had tab's welded onto the crete side to give the crete something to crab onto.
Thats awesome!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
strokingkid1392
M.O.E.
Member's Gallery

they build this fifth wheel weight things and fill them with concrete, so when there done they just slide into your fifth wheel.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Bryrylan
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

theres a guy down here that bought an old OTR truck with a sleeper and put a plow on it. He chills in the sleeper while they are waiting to go back out, everyone else is stuck in there days cabs waitin lol
Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokingkid1392 View Post
they build this fifth wheel weight things and fill them with concrete, so when there done they just slide into your fifth wheel.
Yeah, my ol man made one way back in the 80's...chained it up in the pole barn in the summer and drove out from under it...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
96strokerbp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryrylan View Post
theres a guy down here that bought an old OTR truck with a sleeper and put a plow on it. He chills in the sleeper while they are waiting to go back out, everyone else is stuck in there days cabs waitin lol
Hey thats something to think about too its a great idea, just stinks though becase most plow trucks like that are just plow trucks to some people and sit the rest of the year.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 AM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Quote:
Still see em every now and then around these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryrylan View Post
Is that by chance a light purple W900 with a sander on it? Been seeing one like that in my town fairly regularly got like a 48" or so sleeper on it and a sander off the 5th wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 164
00strokey7.3, 03-blue-Powerstroke, 04 oilburner, 06-sixoh, 07_powerstroke, 08wstroke, 4duggan, 6.0Dually, 7.3 Rocket, 7_three_stroker, 87jumpy, 89xj, 96 stroker, 96strokerbp, 97powr, 97strokn&smokn, 99F250Smitty, abbottfarms, Al Mighty, apollyon9515, Arctic Fox, ARS267, banderajaker, BCPSD, Big Calo, Big Papa 03 dually, bigbadford01, BigBlueDually, billd, black7.3, black99stroker, BlackCloudMafia, BMac, boobin, bpb424, br9050, Bryrylan, BUFF, Bugman, Bushwakd, CALADASH, CATGRY 5, cbuttre835, CGMKCM, Chad Edwards, charlez, Chillin, clydesdale, Coltaine, CSIPSD, daryl4412, Dave, davey99ps, Deereman4020, dennisr_f350, dieselboy01, Dieselgeek, dieselvrgn, displacedtexan, Dog86, Doodah, Dustin F2504x4, ed3196499, farmall99, fordboy424, fuekear, GreenMachine, harleyf250, HiVoltage, Holleran, irontx25, ironworker25, jake1086, jdc753, JLDickmon, Joedog, johnday, JohnstonAG, jonnysteals, Jordy53, junebug909, jurquhart, Justin6.0, King Valley, LBF, lossscause, LOSTCAUSEPOWERSTROKE, MahdeyS, Matt05, metalnova, milehighstroker, mjs41505, morepower02, MOTO7.3, Mpoage, MrMike06, my79f, nchappy, NevrKnow, NIT2WN, oneton, Peroni, pff250hd, Pipewhiner, powr2stroke, psd444, psduser1, pstroke96, ramkiller97, rancher76, randall, RAYCO, red&silver04, red95psd, RedBull_04, redpower, rlpzzz, Rmartin-97, Rob02F350, Rockyardjo, rpm-inc, Russ, Rustler, RW'sSTROKER, Sahrens0202, salprofish, scott2001, SIC-E, sick97psd1, Silverstroke01, smith7.3, SmoKingRanch, SouthFlstrokin', southmike, Steamfighter, STILLKICKIN_F250, stroke931, strokin533, strokingkid1392, suprhlr, t.land, THEDIESELMAN, thefireman128, tjl, TrainWreck, Truck4, Utah7.3, vcassens, voodoomaker, waltenbach, washingtoncoastie, Wff250, whitjo, wildstang3, Willem, willholl79, wint, wjamesm