Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Installing 05-07 tow mirrors on 00

22K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  lowbedriver 
#1 ·
I've been searching for a while and got some good information on installing 08 mirrors. But my question is what are the wiring colors for each on installing a set of 05-07 power telescopic heated signal mirrors to my 2000 with power paddle mirrors and were do I need to install the extra wires.

#2 ·
I have a 2001 with tow mirrors already. I put the 05-07 heated/light tow mirrors on (just havent finished with wiring). The plug was the same, plugged right in and had the same controls from inside the truck. The extra wires are for the running light, blinker and heater. I just havent got around to running the wires and splicing in. Pretty simple, I think the most difficult part is running the wire through the stupid tube from the door to the truck. Then just figure out the wires under the dash for the blinker and running light, and im just hooking the heat for the mirrors up to a switch.

#3 ·
if you dont wanna run a switch you can hook it up to any 12v source that is on with the key i think that is how ford wires them from the factory

#5 ·
Ford does have them on all the time I checked several trucks that had them from factory before I wired mine in. On the park and blinkers I wired them in out at the park light but I would like to move them to clean it up some. If you find the wire under the dash on each side that we need to splice for the parks and blinkers will you take a pic and post it up? Thanks

#8 ·
Im pulling the interior out of my truck soon to wire in some crap wondering if you have found them? If not while im in to mine I will try to find it and post up.

#14 ·
How about you pull that KR interior out and help me swap it into my truckLOL:evil haha

Honestly I want new carpet, sound proof, and new interior. But I'm broke right now. I've already re-done the interior once, still having issues powering up my pass side seat I think I need a darn power seat motor.

#9 ·
I haven't yet. Hopefully this coming week since it's warming up here. I'll post up if I do.

#12 ·
Anyone figure out where the blinker wires are under the column? I'm working on some 05' mirrors now to. Got everything but the blinkers done, and I'm not running wires up to the headlights just for blinkers.

#13 ·
I know there are wires under the steering column turn yr lights on, take apart the steering column & test for a hot wire leading up the the blinker switch..its there just have to find it.

On the constant power for the lights you could do right behind the headlight switch, that is how I have my gauges rigged right now.

#15 ·
Haha no can do on giving up that KR interior :D. I did pull mine apart about a month ago. Installed sound proofing, wired in a factory back up camera, and put in a new carpet. I did this all in one night and my mirrors already work so I didnt get to track down the blinker wires at the kick panel like I wanted to. I still am going to rewire my mirrors in the future but I might do it when I find a set of power fold etc 08s.

#20 ·
right on man, you need to post up some pics of that interior..and let me know when you come across a KR interior:ford:

#16 ·
I said phuck it, since I couldn't find a turn signal wire under the dash that didn't also apply voltage with the brake depressed. So I just ran two wires up to the turn signals in the headlights, didn't want to, but I wanted to wrap up the project! Running lights are easy, that's the brown wire on the headlight switch, well everything but the blinkers was easy just time consuming.

#17 ·
The wires for the blinkers are right inside of the column. Take the three screws out from the bottom, remove the two halves, and both wires are on the left side of the column going to the multifunction switch. White with a blue tracer is right turn signal +, light green with a white tracer is the left turn +. I tapped into those and it worked great. The problem I am having is how to hook up the heat option. I read somewhere that you need a switch with some type of built-in timer? Not sure about that one...

#19 ·
Thanks for posting up on the wires at the column. FWIW Ford has the heated mirrors on all the time from all the research I have found and other trucks that I have checked. So any 12v source should work, but It could be done a lot of different ways.

#18 ·
I just tapped into the hot wire going to the power windows. I then added a thermostat in the mirrors to turn them on at 35 degrees and off at 55 degrees.

#21 ·
I just finished installing my 07 lights today,what a PITA!.Now that i'm done though I really like the way it looks. :redspotdance:

#23 ·
The heated mirrors are always on-they never turn off with the ignition on. Just run them to a key on power source.

And, the 99-mid 01 used a round plug, late 01-up used the rectangular plug which is still in use. 99-01 require an adapter harness (all the aftermarket towing mirrors on ebay come with one-contact one of those sellers, they'll sell a set to you), but the late 01-07 are direct interchange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.