Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

5 channel amp

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  TxFire 
#1 ·
I am considering a Cadence ZRS-C8 to power my entire system. Does anyone know anything about Cadence or this amp?

I'm planning to power a Pioneer 12" TS-SW3001s2, a pair of Infinity components up front and stock in the rear.

Eventually the Infinity's will move to the rear and be replaced with something better. But money is tight, so any opinions on how this will work? It will be run off a Pioneer X920-BT head unit.

#2 ·
I installed the Cadence ZRS-C8. It is powering all 4 components at 150 watts @ 4ohm and the Pioneer sub at 600 watts @ 2 ohm. I moved the Infinity 6x8 components to the rear and put Cadence ZRS-6k components in the front doors. I'm not sure on the Cadence components yet, I'm still tuning and learning. The Sub is very nice sounding and has plenty of power. The only issue with the Amp is that the remote bass control knob was not working and I've sent it in for replacement. Otherwise it was a GREAT bang for the buck at $224.

#5 ·
The specs from Cadence are:
150W x 4 + 400W @ 4 Ohm RMS
200W x 4 + 600W @ 2 Ohm RMS
400W x 2 @ 4 Ohm RMS + 600W @ 2 Ohm RMS

I have no idea what it would "test" at though. No whine, noise or heat issues thus far. I like the Alpine PDX line too, but this was VERY budget friendly. So far I do not regret my decision. I'm running the 4 channels at 4 Ohm and the Sub at 2 Ohm

And YES the sub is in an EXCELLENT box. I love it!!!

#7 ·
Cadence ZRS-C8 5 channel amp

And now for the rest of the story on this Amp!

When I first got the amp the remote bass control knob did not work. Cadence quickly replaced it, but the new one actually works backwards (min is max, etc) supposedly due to different wiring on the amp or knob. No big deal, don't really use it anyway.

Now the big deal. Was listening at about 3/4 volume last week with some heavy bass and it went into protection mode. I felt the amp and it did not seem that hot, but figured maybe I overheated it. So I shut the truck off and left it alone. Next morning I'm supposed to head out to BTS for a new trans and the amp comes on and goes into protection mode each time it starts up. I disconnect each speaker and RCA one by one with no change. So to have music for my 16 hour round trip I have to rewire the front speakers back to the head unit.

When I got back from BTS I called Cadence and they said there is definitely something wrong and to send it in. So, it is in New Jersey now. We'll see what happens. I asked for a "birth sheet" to show the output, we'll see if I get it.

So I saved some money, but we'll see it it works out in the end.
:mad:

#9 ·
Amp returned from its trip to Jersey today. I did NOT get a "birth sheet". The paperwork stated 6 transistors replaced and unit tested at 2 ohm on all channels. I plan to re install tomorrow and see how it goes.

#11 ·
It is reinstalled and running great. We'll see. I got this Cadence for less that half that price, do it is worth a shot. I'll be the first to admit if it does not work out. From what little I can find, the upper level Cadence lines (ZRS) are good, they a just a smaller company.

#12 ·
I like my old school amps. I have 2 Phoenix Gold ZR475 ti & a US Amps Merlin 4x90. The 475s are 10 years old & still work great. They have been reconditioned by PG. They replaced the caps. The Merlin is a strong amp. I bet its closer to 125 a channel than 90. I like the Built in the USA stickers on them.

#13 ·
if you gott'em for cheap then I guess that counts for something.
Like i was saying i paid about $500 out the door, they are 2 inches high and only about 8x10, run really really cool, no noise problems, clean sounding. I"m just really pleased and glad i didn't spend twice as much getting something else that is 2-3x's as large and twice in price. they suit my needs.

Sucks that you're having these issues. Any way to get a warrany exhange or refund if you keep having problems?

#14 ·
It has a 2 year warranty and cost me I think $240 brand new. Yeah, I'd love to have a smaller unit, but for the cost, if the problems are done this will be dandy. The sound is great and the specs are higher than most of the smaller units. Only time will tell how my gamble plays out, but I knew it was a gamble when I bought it. For now, I'm happy again. I hope I stay happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.