Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

egr plug?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  FX4 F2-Fifty 
#1 ·
i have been told this but want to make sure
can u just unplug your EGR plug? what does it do?
is it safe and worth it? where is it located?

thanks

#3 ·
You can, but it's gonna set a CEL. It just doesn't allow the EGR valve to open. Personally I wouldn't do it. Just live with until you can delete it...

#5 ·
The EGR valve can't open if you unplug it. Therefore no exhaust in the intake. Your not even going to notice a difference if you unplug it...

#7 ·
What does the EGR do, or what does unplugging it do?

#9 ·
exhaust gas recirculation, they say to unhook it so if the egr cooler starts leaking it wont hyrdolock your engine, but i wouldn't recommend doin it, just buy an egr delete

#11 ·
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) recirculates exhaust gas into the intake manifold for emission reasons. Unplugging the EGR valve will not allow exhaust gas to enter the intake manifold, although exhaust gas will still enter the EGR cooler (cools the exhaust gas entering the intake manifold)which is prone to failure. On your 2004 it may or may not set a CEL. But like what has been said, just buy an EGR delete and be done with it. Also most custom SCT tunes have the EGR valve turned off (will not open).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.