ZF6 problem : ( - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Transmission Related
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Jbstroker87
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

ZF6 problem : (

Well hell! Take her for a spin after doing injectors, studs blah blah all the goodies, truck does just fine for about 50 miles tonight. Coming down the highway a yellow light flashes so i go to downshift and BAM!!! rear tires lock up for a second, and everything is fine. I'm thinking weird!!! okay well i pull over and put it in neutral, it's stuck in gear while the shifter is in neutral. i know it's stuck somewhere between gears, and it's a long shot but has anyone ever had this happen? the truck only has 150k on it and these trannies are pretty tough but any ideas on what is wrong??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 AM
dp_stroker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: ZF6 problem : (

mine did the exact same thing....except i had 8 round hay bales behind me...had to have it rebuilt. can remember exactly what the guy said had happen/caused it but it was stuck in 4th....i'm wantin to say the syncros went out and locked it in gear and wouldn't let it release but can't remember...(2yrs ago)

Ryan
Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Jbstroker87
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Lovely!! well thanks!!!! I run a hay crew in the summer so it has been abused a little ha ha! any idea on what it ran you??? i just dropped 3500 on everything, i just did and my pockets are getting more and more shallow!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 AM
b00stleak
PSN Pontiac Enthusiast
Member's Gallery

shift forks? my getrag was doing that same thing for a while. turned out the pilot bushing went out and that in turn eventually led to it eating a shift fork. still putting it back together
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
dp_stroker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

i finially found a guy about 3 hours away to do it for 1500 bucks but everybody else i priced was 1800-2200...and i found brand new ones for around those same prices. mine gets abused badly during hay season also...but since i've had it rebuilt not one problem at all besides trying to keep a clutch in it...different story though..lol
Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 AM
zpilgeram
oilfield trucker
Member's Gallery

I had one do the same thing, turned out the bearing went out of the reverse gear and would'nt allow the output shaft to turn.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Jbstroker87
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

wonderful... well luckily i found out i have a warranty that is still valid on the tranny, thank god!!! 2800 that i don't have to pay to get it rebuilt. is there any parts for the zf6 that i can get so i don't tear this one up??? perhaps input and output shafts? better bearings? gears? anything???
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 AM
b00stleak
PSN Pontiac Enthusiast
Member's Gallery

you my friend dodged a bullet with that warranty :)
Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Jbstroker87
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Oh yeah! Saved me around $2800
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Dieselgeek
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Whatever gear you have while in neutral is the bearing you locked up... I fried mine a few weeks back, had low gear only, that was a slow trip home...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 89
16yrenthusiest, 2stangs8689, 31 YNOT, 73stroke99, 99STROKINSMOKIN, arctic-20v, b00stleak, Bamboo, Barnbuilder, Big Calo, bigblak250, bigjohnbyrum, big_stroker, Binder man, bjc, black7.3, CALADASH, caseih7010, Caster, Chillin, Cutty72, darrell401, DcMoore999, Desertdweller, DevilDocTater, Dieselgeek, dieselmac99, double-s-diesel, doubledoor, dp_stroker, ferociousfish, Firehunter, Fordfreak4life, ford_trck, jarom, Jbstroker87, JGCF250, Johnboy3, Johnny77Mutt, jscsir10, Kountryboy 6.0, krankin, LarryMck, Lill Pete, LORDDiESEL, madpogue, MahdeyS, mleg1972, Mtack, Mx_racer_36, norcalstrokin, nvme_63, okiebindernut, opieg01, Pdt1081, powerstroke095, PSDnate, pstroke96, RA3PSD, rancher76, RC4WD, Rmartin-97, RMPowerstroke, rocketron, Rockyardjo, Ross01, RW'sSTROKER, Sea97Stroker, Smokin6-0, sniper_101, snowman429, Steamfighter, swamp_ratt, tensixniner, thefireman128, therabbittree, tholt34, tlperkins69, UNCOOL, V-Ref, vader's fury, veclen, wsigo, yamtodd, yetnaman, Young-SC-Owner, Zapper, zpilgeram