Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

compound turbos in a van?

143K views 690 replies 111 participants last post by  Akita91 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to do a compound setup "ala Charles". 38r w/1.15 housing and gt4718 w/ 1.39 housing. Here is the list of parts...

fresh forged rod shortblock (.030 over, 3 sleeves)
rebuilt heads w/ comp 910's
head studs
xo2 50mm wastegates
ebay a/w intercooler
230cc hybrids from Jim Rose (Rosewood Diesel)

Here is what I have so far.

3/8 steel plate

1 1/2" and 3/4" tube, and 1/2" flange

finished product

with the 47 on it

See less See more
#5 ·
I do take lots of pics and I will post them so hopefully somebody will catch my mistakes!!!:D

#4 ·
:D I am obviously going to have to extend the doghouse, and it will be well insulated with dynamat or something.

#9 ·
The air/water intercooler is sitting pretty much where I plan on having it. You can see it in that one pic. 47 outlet to the driver's side inlet of the intercooler, and then intercooler outlet "should" be able to snake around to the 38 inlet. I will probably have to cut the floor up to get the 5" downpipe out, and the air intake in.

#10 ·
Now see, If you would have sold me that van turbo for $300 back in feb. I could have saved you a ####load of money:D

I admire you ingenuity(sp) i will be watching this project.

#15 ·
how much you want for the van turbo? mines leaking oil...

#21 ·
I prefer to keep my beer in a cooler. The doghouse gets a little two warm form my taste and the cooler holds more than two.

#24 ·
I know you are kidding, but it is deafening in the van at an idle let alone driving. I did drive to the hardware store and back without the cover on. I won't do that again.

#25 ·
OMG they are really loud in stock form, at least the one Moremph has is!!

-Michael

#26 ·
I would try my best to get the W/A core after both stages. Obviously you face the same room constraint that kept me from doing just that, but cooling both stages would be ideal. I will say that temperature control does not seem to be a big deal, but the cooler the better regardless.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you :D

I would KILL to have access to the back of my engine like that...

It takes me about an hour to get my downpipe in, if I can coerce the wife into helping me. Otherwise.... it's simply impossible.

Good Luck, and hope it works out for ya. You have so many turbine housing options for that 47 that you will find what you like best even if the 1.39 doesn't give you everything you're after right out of the box.

I bet the heft of that 47 took you by surprise the first time you went to pick it up, and the next million times you held it up in place for mock up. At least you didn't have to stand on the tire hanging over the truck with the damn thing. Did I mention that I would kill for that kind of access to a turbo?

:D

#27 ·
I would KILL to have access to the back of my engine like that... Did I mention that I would kill for that kind of access to a turbo?
Charles is now thinking about taking a sawzall and custom forming a dog house for the truck. You dont need no stinkin A/C controls in the south Charles, cut it up man....

#28 ·
Charles-Thanks for the input. I was hoping you would chime in.

I would try my best to get the W/A core after both stages. Obviously you face the same room constraint that kept me from doing just that, but cooling both stages would be ideal. I will say that temperature control does not seem to be a big deal, but the cooler the better regardless.
It is sooooooooo much easier not to!:doh: I am an amateur fabricator.

I would KILL to have access to the back of my engine like that...

It takes me about an hour to get my downpipe in, if I can coerce the wife into helping me. Otherwise.... it's simply impossible.
That is all we van guys have over the f series. Anything in the front to middle is a pain in the nuts.

I bet the heft of that 47 took you by surprise the first time you went to pick it up, and the next million times you held it up in place for mock up. At least you didn't have to stand on the tire hanging over the truck with the damn thing. Did I mention that I would kill for that kind of access to a turbo?
Yes, that turbo is a big bitch. I really was wondering how the hell you mocked it up in the truck. I thought I was smart mocking it up like this....

I underestimated the size and the compressor housing would hit the collector the way it is here. :doh:

So I put the thing together and it's not that bad kneeling on the floor and resting it on my legs.

#29 ·
Got a new non ebv pedestal. Is there non ford non ebv pedestals? This think looks rough.

Anyways, there is a plug on the rear of the pedestal in the oil supply passage. Can I use this to supply oil to the 47? I am planning on welding a fitting on the pan for the drain.

#32 ·
I am ready to start working on this again!! New engine is in. Going to have a #### ton of questions.

Before I start buying pipe and bends, here is what I plan.

38r turbine outlet to 47 turbine inlet-3.5"
3.5" 47 compressor outlet to 3" intercooler to 38r compressor inlet-3.5" (will need a 4" to 3.5" reducing elbow and 2 3.5 to 3" reducing couplers)

The 47 turbine outlet is 5" v band. Where do I find this flange? I am hoping that 5" necked down to 4" after 2 or so feet to meet up with existing 4" exhaust will be good?

The length of the intermediate pipe will be short, and mostly bend. I will need a flex joint of some kind here?

What about wastegate flex joints. I would imagine each should have one?

On edit-the 47 comp inlet is 6". I am hoping a 6" to 5" reducer coupling off the inlet to a filter under the van in a "box" will be good enough?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!

#33 ·
By wastegate flex joints, I mean in the wastegate outlet tube and where it would connect to. Each should have one?

Help me please!! :rockon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.