Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Question about loose steering

830 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fastfish1967 
#1 ·
I was wondering what might be causing my loose steering and what should I get to fix it. I bought the vehicle and it had about 1/4 turn to either side before it would begin turning. I figured it was an alignment issue but I had that fixed when I put new ball joints on it but the problem is still there. I don't mind driving it and don't even notice the play in the steering wheel. When my fiance drives it she HATES it. So I guess I need to get that fix because I like being able to drive to the bar, get smashed, and have her drive the truck and me back home. Also how much do you think the labor would cost to install whatever this thing is.

Thanks

#2 ·
Could be worn tie rod or draglink ends. Could be loose tracbar bolts or tracbar bracket bolts. Could be worn steering box. Could be loose wheel bearings. Could be pitman arm has worn the splines off the sector shaft. Best way to check is to have someone turn the sterring wheel back and forth and you look at every component.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.