Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pitman arm problems

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GTOKILLER 
#1 ·
I have developed a wobble in my steering that I traced to my Pitman arm. Seems as though the tapered hole the drag link bolts into has become eccentric. The drag link (tie rod) end has never been loose and was tight right now, but still wobbles as if the tie rod was bad. The tie rod is actually new, just paid $130.00 at Ford. The movement is the pitman arm/drag link joint.

Just can't figure out how the hole would become eccentric.

#4 ·
I have looked at it with everything bolted up. I pulled the drag link off to replace it, but as it is bolted up and torqued properly it still wobbles within the pitman arm hole.

I have a steering box with 240k on it. I have adjusted it once so far to remove some play. I am thinking that the box could use replaced as well. I am going to unbolt the pitman arm and have a look at the splined shaft and go from there. I would like to find a replacement pitman arm before I get in there.

#7 ·
I agree. It must have been the autozone drag link end I used a while back. Has to be. Well off to get a new pitman arm.

#6 ·
Either wrong part from the dealer/parts store or pitman arm is worn out! although I have changed a few steering gearboxes in the last couple years.

#8 ·
I wish you liver near me I probably have a couple in the shop, but they probably are not to bad $$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.