6.0 liter turbo squeal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Boyd254
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

6.0 liter turbo squeal

Can anyone help me out with a turbo squeal? I have a 2006 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with 96,000 miles on it. I am running a Hypermax Chip with a cat and muffler delete. I have been running the chip on the fuel saver setting for over 6 months. Just recently, I switched the setting to "stock only". While driving, I noticed the pitch of the turbo changed. This also happens in all seven settings. Under hard acceleration the turbo would make a high pitched squeal. I am not towing or pulling anything. The high pitched noise only happens when the turbo pressure is higher than 25 psi. It has been between 10 and 30 degree outsides since this has happened. When the high idle kicks in, I notice a significant change in the noise from the tail pipe. I have had this truck for two years and this is not the standard "turbo whine".

All read outs on my Hypermax display read normal. EGT is normal, oil pressure and temp are normal. I ran a diagnostic OBII check and all systems read normal. No engine codes have been thrown and No check engine light. I have checked the belt and it is good to go. I am not leaking any fluids from the truck. All fluid levels are in the same ranges as before the noise started. I am using Synthetic motor oil, Lucas Fuel additive every 15,000 miles and have NO evaporation of antifreeze.

Can anyone give me some advice or where to find the thread that has discussed this already?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
irontx25
I Just Break Stuff
Member's Gallery

Re: 6.0 liter turbo squeal

What does the blue boot at the turbo look like? Is it all oily? Look on the inside bend and see if it's cracked. The squeal your describing sure sounds alot like what mine sound like before they go meet Jesus.
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Built at Tranny
GoGo Direct Solenoid
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
stroke of luck
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
Member's Gallery

turbine might be contacting the housing. could have some shaft play that causing it.

on another note....if you need another turbo, i have a low mile one with no shaft play sitting in my shop if you need one.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
LILGSX
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Check the Up pipe also. I had a squeal coming from what I thought was the turbo but I had the flex section of the up pipe break. That is what the noise was on mine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Matt07
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

could the variable vains inside the turbo be making that kind of noise if they start getting carboned up?
check all your trubo boots to make sure they arent leaking like stated above.
usually if you have a boost leak tho, your egt's would run higher than normal.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 68
07f450, 08powerstroke22, 1000klr, 7.3boys, Arctic Fox, bad moose, BigBlack03, Bobus, Boyd254, bustednuckles, camochris, casey2carter, chrissheerman, co04cobra, Cookie_Monster, Csulli250, Danielwinfrey, ddbck, dexleo2, dirtydisco711, early04whistler, friskyjake, Gnarkle, hillbilly123, horhey, Hutch, irontx25, isimar, JESTERxHEAD, JfmF250, Khemosabe, LILGSX, lukeduke06, majorleaguebass, Matt07, matts05f250sd, Mdub707, Monstar, mours2, Mpoage, Msolem, MT Pockets, mwilke7901, myronbilliot, PowerSub, R$H racing, RazorsEDGE, rjdiesel, rmkking6, Secondwind1, Sethc0077, shadow6.0, steinberger4, stroke of luck, stroker57, strokethis05, Strokin304, strokinansmokin, suprdzlduty, texans, TheTexasKid, tmars51, TTguy, turbodieselny, v8ranger, Wff250, Yotalac, ZF6Speed250