Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tailgate problem

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Sinisalo425 
#1 ·
I got a 2000 F-250 and cant get the tail gate off... I removed the cables to it and can get the passenger side off but I cant get the drivers side "hinge" part off... is there something I'm missing cause I think it would just pull off.

#8 ·
wiggle it back and forth a little bit while pulling. that rubber in there can bind. i had the same issue earlier this winter.

#9 ·
I like your other idea...a huge hammer, maybe a pry bar!! :poke:

#10 ·
There's supposed to be a rubber bushing in there, but it seems like most people loose em. It's probably missing and the metal probably got a bit rusty. Pop off the one side of the tailgate, then give the stuck side a tap with a rubber mallet and see if it pops off.

#11 ·
If that bushing was gone it would rattle and come off pretty easy if the gate has been operating I would think. The vibration from driving around would keep it from rusting that bad. But I'm in Az rust is not very common around here.

#12 ·
With mine you have to put the tailgate half way up or half way down a pull out on the passenger side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.