Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DR/Icon 4.5" Lift on 6.0 6-Speed

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  IdahoF350 
#1 ·
I've had my truck for 5-1/2 years now and I've wanted to lift it for the past 4 years or so. Originally I wanted the DR 4.5" kit and last year I was seriously torn between it's successor the Icon 4.5" kit and the new Carli 4.5" kit. Over the holiday I came across a deal on a used DR 4.5" kit that was too good to pass up and my decision was made for me.

So I'm in my shop right now looking at possibly installing the kit and while under the truck I just discovered an interesting problem. The radius arm brackets are not designed to fit a manual transmission truck. The trans crossmember is farther back on a manual trans and it interferes with the rear of the radius arm bracket. I'm kind of bummed because nowhere on Icon's or Carli's websites does it mention a potential figment issue.

Now maybe some installers who have done tons of these trucks have run into this before, but like I said, I've never seen the issue posted on a forum. I think I have a game plan to modify the crossmember on the drivers side, and the radius arm bracket on the passenger side (clearance for the crossmember bolt only) and I'll take some pictures of the finished product but I'm bummed I don't have time for this today.

#3 ·
Well, I have the tools and materials to modify the crossmember, and that's most likely what I'll do. I've thought about it and I mocked it up and ran some failure analysis on the idea, it should last as long as the truck. See Attached.

I've seriously spent a couple hours trying to find ANYWHERE that mentions this issue for any lift, and I've not found it mentioned anywhere on the net. I called Icon to verify, and they appearantly list it as a footnote in their application guide, but not on their website. I'm pretty sure the same issue would apply with the new Carli systems too.

Attachments

#4 ·
It is DONE! So I modified the crossmember like in the picture. The way I did it it butts right up to the radius arm bracket. Because I'm super picky and I don't wantthe possibility of it ever failing, I actually bolted the two together. Came out good and I love the finished product. I should have done this 4 years ago!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow when there is better light.

#7 ·
Dude, I wanted my truck to sit like yours did about 2 years ago so bad! I know I'll never go 7" like you did, but I just looked outside and it made me smile first thing in the morning! I've got a second set of stock 18" 8-holes that I'm going to have powder coated black and next month I'm changing from a 35x12.5 to a 35x11 on the black wheels. Should be awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.