Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hydro Assist Steering

6K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Gubby 
#1 ·
Who has done this? and which company did you go with? and what was your cost? I'm getting tired of not being able to turn my truck with ease and the play in the steering wheel so I'm hoping after my steering box gets rebuilt and have the assistance of the hydraulic ram I'll be able to turn in spot which would be amazing in these little parking lots designed for compact cars.

#2 ·
******* steering is supposed to be good.
I had a PSC/PCS which ever is correct.... i noticed that my steering gear developed some play in it after a few years.
Can't remember the cost.
Easy to do. Had to have some custom fittings made to get things back together/hose wise.

#3 ·
I've read a lot about PSC. Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were. Haven't heard too much about ******* steering. What I'm seeing on google is they are kinda like PSC

#6 ·
I would go with *******. Save a ton of money and works very well. Literally hundreds on Pirate 4x4 have his system and swear by it. I learned a good amount of how to tweak our pumps and do the setups from him. Even DIY I really like the rams they use as they have better ends, Same as PCS.

#31 ·
:whs:
After talking w/ folks and both PSC and ******* i wish i had gone w/ the *******.
PSC instructions sucked and there phone service was crap and like i said the "Kit" for my truck still required a LOT of custom hose work it seems.

#11 ·
I made my own for less then 150.00. Also changed steering stuff over to Bullet Proof tie rod and drag link. Bought 100.00 ram, tapped the steering box, attached one end of the ram to the stabilizer bracket on the axel and welded to brackets to the tie rod. ran some ss braid hose and boom now I can steer with fully locked front end.

#13 ·
Can you post some pics of your setup. I have yet to see one mounted up on a superduty that wasn't a OUO setup

#14 ·
Ryan, I know your busy but I'd really like to see a write up on how you did yours. Parts, ram, how you tapped the stearing box, welded brackets.
Thanks from all of us.

#15 ·
Question here guys. Maybe i missed something in the thread but i have had 41 x 14.50 Iroks on my truck since new and i have ZERO problems turning them on dry pavement until it is hotter than 25*c out. My 04 wouldn't turn them for the life of it but my 06 no problem. What year truck do you guys have them on?

#20 ·
Just do some searches, there are alot of articles out there on how to do a home made hydro assist setup. Thats How I figured out how to do mine. Trucks outside in 7" of snow so dont feel like taking pics lol.

I didnt book mark where I bought the cylinder and cant seem to find it now but I think it is 8" travel and 1" bore, might be 1 1/2" bore but I think its 1". Its importtant to get that right because either its not fast enough or too fast and will empty the fluid too quick.

#24 ·
Thanks Ryan

#25 ·
hmmmm just throwing this out there for the ones of us who aren't lifted, but is there an advantage for us stock height guys? Im running 35x12.50R20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's on my 06 with stock height. Its an FX4 if that makes a difference. I would be down for some easier steering, as already posted, damn parking lots are made for micro cars. LOL

#28 ·
Am I doing something right or what?

I have no issues turning in parking lots... Point and shoot.

I'm just not seeing an issue worth spending 800-1000 bucks on?

#29 ·
Hydro assist is realy nice if you have big tires especially if you off road at all. It will make your steering box last much longer, takes all bump steer out and can steer it with your pinky.

Biggest draw back I have come across with mine is if the truck is not running and trying to steer it is almost impossible. For most thats not an issue but mine gets pulled around alot with out the engine running and its a real PITA.

#30 ·
Parking lots arent always bad, but sometimes they can be a pain. Usually i just back into a spot, used to backing in because of work. Just something i was wondering about, i would like to have have it, but only if i had the extra cash.

#33 ·
Heck if you had good experience w/ them, then great but mine was blah...
I needed the product and heard and read all about them so I went w/ them. I heard little about ******* BUT it was all stellar. Even when i called ******* they answered all my questions and helped me when psc couldn't.
I feared of paying slightly less and getting an inferior product but my stoopid mistake.
Maybe things have changed.

#34 ·
Anyone got a link to *******?

#35 ·
I know some said they have no problems with the stock steering. Mine drives me crazy, sometimes I can turn with one finger under 5mph then next i can't turn it at all. Parking lots are the worst. :mad: Want to go the hyro assis route too.

#37 ·
Which stage kit did you go with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.