Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fog Lights???

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to fix my fog lights so they come on seperatly from the headlights. What have some you guys done to complete this mod? I figured on just tying into the wires behind the switch with a toggle switch. I was really curious if there was a way to mod the switch or was it possible to use a newer year switch.

#2 ·
Changing the switch doesn't really work.

The easiest thing to do is have your fogs come on with your marker lights. That is easily done by jumping a wire between the two in the switch.

The next easiest is to use the marker lights as a signal wire to a toggle switch. Then use the toggle switch to turn the fogs off and on if only the marker lights are on.

#7 ·
Changing the switch doesn't really work.

The easiest thing to do is have your fogs come on with your marker lights. That is easily done by jumping a wire between the two in the switch.

The next easiest is to use the marker lights as a signal wire to a toggle switch. Then use the toggle switch to turn the fogs off and on if only the marker lights are on.

yes it does. If you get a newer auto lamp equiped switch and wire it up according to factory diagrams.

1. in the auto postition with the switch pulled for fogs - only the fogs will come on
2. in the park light posistion w/ switch pulled for fogs - parks lights and fogs will be on
3. in the headlight position w/ switch pulled for fogs - everything will be on(but we knew that)

#6 ·
My question is why?? The eyes tend to focus on the brightest lit regions, so having foglight on with low beam of the headlight will make it bright directly in front of the vehicle, but it will be less natural to see further ahead. The same goes with fogs and highs on together, natural focus is closer to the vehicle than just high beams.

#9 ·
Thanks for your input fellers. I am not really interested in running the fogs with the high beams. With HID's I don't need fogs really. I was wanting them for daytime and dusk driving. I read an older thread about a guy taking the switch apart and filing down the ramp that pulls the knob back in to kill the fogs. I wondered if many have tried this without failure?

#13 ·
Just plugging in a newer 02-03 switch will not work.

If you rewire the switch with a newer one like bigred97 then it will work.

Is it honestly worth all that time and effort when you already have fog lights? Just jump one wire... it's different if you go from not having fog lights to having them... but that is not the case with the OP.

And I am not a fan of scotch locks either. However in this application, I don't see any problem and it saves more then 10,000% of the cost as well as time. It's like building a rocket, just to go to the next room.

#14 ·
I agree that it would be easier for the OP just to jump to the park light circuit, but it depends how he wants them to work

if he wants the ability to turn them on completely seperatly, and turn them off seperatly, then getting a newer switch and just moving a couple wires around in his existing plug would be the way to go imho....they use the same conectors and the smaller one has the same pin out

if he wants them to ALWAYS come one with the parking lights (wich means they would also be on when ever the head lights are on.) then yes just jump the wire

#15 ·
Well, I finally got the time to tear into my lights and do this mod. While I was at it, I swapped in a set of Sylvania SS Ultra 9005's. I never got a pic of the wires but from the reading I done on here and the other stroker sights, there are some differences in wiring. Several people stated that jumping the brown wire to the white w/black tracer would do the job. I backprobed and metered these and found this would trigger my headlamps to come on. For my truck it was brown to yellow. I opted to wire in a toggle for some more freedom. In the future I want to go with HID's to match the headlamps, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Ultra's. Besides, I think the wife would kill me after dropping 3 grand on this thing in the past three months.

Stock 9145 bulbs

9005 Ultra's
[/IMG]

Thanks to all you fellars that gave me input. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.