Time to replace injectors & HPOP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
rancher76
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Time to replace injectors & HPOP

I have failed #2 cylinder injector twice now, so I guess it is time to bite the bullet and replace my injectors. Will go with either beans or swamps, have not made my mind up yet. I read swamps R&R and it seems fairly sraight-forward. I took the truck for a test drive tonight with my AE and got some disturbing readings with my HPOP. I monitored ICP and ICPDC. At 1900rpm, I was flucuating between 1200-2000 psi and my D/C was 24 to 28% with one dip to 10%. I am guessing my pump is worn out, am I guessing right? If it needs replaced, I have been reading on the stealth and like what I have heard about it. I am just going back stock, am I going down the right path? thanks for the help!
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM
TBarrsTruck
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Time to replace injectors & HPOP

Surprised that you need injectors with that low of miles, but possible. You might just replace #2 and call er good. Readings don't look that bad on the pump. If your getting bigger than a stage one injector, or ever plan on it, then look at an upgraded pump, otherwise no need.

'78 F-150 RCLB: 460 swap, 3" lift, 33's,Trussed 9" w/ chrome-moly shafts, cust stereo, locked front/rear. My first love! EFI & Turbo coming soon...
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 AM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

yep those aren't any biggy..... get it warm and run it wot uphill riding the brakes for a better idea of the pump's condition

Also a cylinder contribution test does NOT diagnose a bad injector without further testing.... could be one of several possible problems
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
rancher76
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I am still learning a LOT about AE, what other tests do I need to run? Thanks for the responses, sounds like it not as bad as I thought it was. The symptoms that made me test it in the first place is the truck is smoking on start up, I had a thread on this about 1 month ago, MPG's have decreased from 15.5/16 to 12.5/13, and truck seems "goosey". It gets to bucking and in lower gears will have a surging feel/sound to it. At speed, I can hear it surge occasionaly, but I noticed yesterday that if I set the cruise, it does not do it. Sorry to ramble on , I just want to try to fix this!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Couple of thoughts:

Normal lifespan on the injectors is about 200k if they are fed a diet of clean fuel and oil. Are you the original owner? If not, 150k is plausible for the injectors to be worn out.

I assume you ran a CCT and determined #2 needs replacing. You should also run a buzz test on a cold motor and see what it shows. Sinister Diesel as some good advice on the buzz and CCT tests on their website.

Drives better on cruise control - If true, that would indicaet a bad TPS. I think you can check it with AE. Do this before you throw and parts at it.

Lastly, if its not the TPS, call Swamps and talk to Dave or Jonathan. Get their opinion on what to do - stand up guys who won't steer you wrong. BTW, I had them overhaul my injectors and IDM and am VERY happy!

Good luck!
Best,
Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
rancher76
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
Couple of thoughts:

Normal lifespan on the injectors is about 200k if they are fed a diet of clean fuel and oil. Are you the original owner? If not, 150k is plausible for the injectors to be worn out.

I assume you ran a CCT and determined #2 needs replacing. You should also run a buzz test on a cold motor and see what it shows. Sinister Diesel as some good advice on the buzz and CCT tests on their website.

Drives better on cruise control - If true, that would indicaet a bad TPS. I think you can check it with AE. Do this before you throw and parts at it.

Lastly, if its not the TPS, call Swamps and talk to Dave or Jonathan. Get their opinion on what to do - stand up guys who won't steer you wrong. BTW, I had them overhaul my injectors and IDM and am VERY happy!

Good luck!
Best,
Jim
I bought my truck 6 years ago, it had 80K on it. I used rotella and changed it every 4K, fuel filter every 8K. Just changed to Mobil1 5W40 @160K, got about 2K on this oil change now.
I was going to do a buzz test in the morning and see how it did. I filled up today, 25.8 gallons on 264 miles !
I have been looking through the AE tests in the library, I am going to check the TPS also.
Thanks for the responses, still open for any other suggestions.

On edit: I was also going to take the boots off and clean everything, just in case I have some boost leaks. I have been meaning to do this for a while anyways, just another thought I had.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
BigRed97
The Oracle
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

like stated above, a cylinder failing a CCT does not mean a bad injector, it means the operation of that cylinder is not up to par. Which could be caused by worn rings, cracked piston, burt/bent valve(s), or a malfuntioning injector.

Now a malfunctioning injector could be caused by a few things: IDM problem, wiring problem between IDM and injector(under cover harness, valve cover gasket, enternal conector call all melt and fail) or a bad injector itself

run the buzz test and if all is good there, it rules out the electrical portion.
after that you need to to a compression test. If that is all good, then and only then can you be sure you need to replace the injector

Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
PSDEng
Busted Knuckles
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher76 View Post
I am still learning a LOT about AE, what other tests do I need to run?
Try a rotational velocity test.
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
Old 01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

AFTER all the other tests and before ordering a new injector you can also swap the offending injector with another cylinder to see if the problem follows it.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
rancher76
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Ran the buzz test this morning, truck had been sitting about 14 hours, buzz test sounded good, don't know if it means anything or not but I watched the tach while it was doing the test and it peaked at the same RPM everytime. Then I did the accelelator test and all readings were within what specs the sheet gave. Then I started the truck and did the Vehicle & HPOP Health Check form the library. My volume of fuel desired and fuel injector pulse width was a lot lower than what the form showed. The form showed 14.5 mm3@ idle (mine was 7.3) and 24.8mm3 @ WOT (mine was 14.4) for volume of fuel desired. The pulse width showed 2.96ms @idle (mine was 1.85) and 1.80ms @ WOT (mine was 1.47). Then I checked the rotational velocity, all were 0.00.
Again, a big THANKS for all the help. I am starting to get a little frustrated with the old truck, but I'm hanging in there.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 166
00_Powerstroke, 02psd, 03_PSD, 16yrenthusiest, 1978psd, 1999F350Lariat, 1badz, 2000XLifted, 4duggan, 73stroke99, 95F250, 97F250 HD, 97Stroker13, AzPsd55, BadDogPSD, Barnbuilder, Big J power stroke, Big Red 350, bigred3/4, BigRed97, bigrngyj, bill4d, birdog, blackbetty13, Blacksmoke&Buckinhorses, BlkWolfe, brad.stoner, brp7282, bryan.d, Bushwakd, cadd, canister, CARR, cat45, Centxdiesel, CGMKCM, chainsaw, CHevDog1, chief055, clackclack, Cmonster, COFG-28, Country, CTC DEEZUL, cwprosser, data_engine, dent-techs, Diesel Mack, Dieselgeek, Dieselsvt, dlnw98, Dog86, Donnief, douglasharwood, drh4250, duncan351, Dutchboy, EBBCLA, Elgin MGP, erskine_e, F250 Fever, F350_7.3, factorydefect, fatfender, fergus, ferociousfish, firestrokesocal, flip2spin23, fordcowboy503, fordguy64, frosty38506, fyrehose, Gibrid4x4, golfer, gottagofast, gould9, hofiveo, I like to party, ih1947kb3, islandstyle, jake2far, JamieWS6, jarhead, jbroome2, jc82chevyman, jeenyus73, JerseyJim, Joedog, johnjo, ju015dd, jvc1990, jvencius, kainers, kilapapipa, konzkustomz, LaJ10, Lill Pete, lincolnlocker, MartinPenwald, metalnova, milehighstroker, mjones, monkeys7.3, mrgto, mstadler13, Mudn_1, OBSWIZ, Petro, PHPDiesel, pilot4life, Powerstatement, powerstroke3, powerstrokefarmboy, Powerstrokin73, PSDEng, psduser1, r00ster, rancher76, randyo156, rich, rich in co, rickvm, rideracelivemx7, RidgeBoy, Rmartin-97, rpm-inc, salprofish, scott99psd, SD01WD, sick97psd1, simpleman, sixpack1, skippy969, Smoker00, Snowman66, Snowmannn, Southern.girl, SouthFlstrokin', stackedstroker, stdcabFords, straws07, stroked2000, sunny644, SWVa, TBarrsTruck, tbolt, tch.280, tdrracing, TerminatorEngineering, texasredneckjae, thenephilm, TheSmokinStroke2002, ttford07, turfsupdon, TxFire, V-Ref, whitjo, whitten1, whytry, Willem, wooner, xxxbrutusxxx, zaairman