7.3 dies when warm. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
7.3PowerStroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 dies when warm.

I been reading up on my symptons for the last few days and learned alot but I still cant figure it out so im hoping somone can help.

99 powerstroke no mods not mine
first start it up it will run for 10 to 15 min and get a skip every few seconds and eventually stall.
wait a few seconds and fires right up but will stall again. seems to get worse till it wont start untill it cools off.

if i idle it up it will stay running but skips evey few seconds then worse.

After it warms up at idle the injector pressure runs around 550 psi and 1000 psi at 2 grand.

After it stalls i check the hpop res and its full to the top.
fuel filter is full with pressure.
I clear the codes then run it untill stall no coades come up.
Hasnt been a year sence the HPOP was replaced and the first thing i replaced was the cps
I have read that the o rings could be bad on the Ipr and for oil in the plugin yes i think there is some.
When the IPR gets bad will it show the presser drop off? It doesnt seem to go below 550 psi before it stalls but when it picks up after the skip the preasure reads around the 800 psi range.

Im stumped and from what i read from this site im not sure if im heading the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
CSIPSD
Banned
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 dies when warm.

Injector more then likely... Watch this video...

This would only happen after the oil got above about 110*...

About the most frustrating thing I have ever dealt with working on these trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
7.3PowerStroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Yeah that crossed my mind. from what i understand it robs from the rest and thats what my skip could be. and from what im told the oil hasnt been changed in a while too.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

Lift pump?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
CSIPSD
Banned
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagofast View Post
Lift pump?
There is no "lift pump" on a 7.3... Just a fuel pump.

But a fuel pump would not effect HPO pressures...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
gottagofast
Freak'n know it all
Member's Gallery

well we don't have an injection pump but our fuel pump carries fuel from the tank to the injectors which do the job of an injection pump..... we could argue as to whether it could be called a lift pump or not but honestly it doesn't matter that much..... I would agree that we don't have to call it a lift pump since it's the only pump we have.
either way.... I didn't see anything in his post that indicated that there was a hpo issue.... apr 500 at idle is normal. "1000 psi at 2 grand" doesn't mean alot without load, duty cycle, and throttle percentage.
"550 psi before it stalls" normal if at idle..... "when it picks up after the skip the pressure reads around the 800 psi range" again, doesn't mean anything without the conditions under which it occurred.
I suggested the fuel pump based on the symptoms of stalling after running for a couple minutes. Electric pumps tend to die in just that manner..... It could well be a HPO issue but I don't see where it has been proven as such.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 AM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Have you tried a buzz test on it when its cold?
Best,
Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 AM
TrailerHauler
Custom Trailer Sales
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
Have you tried a buzz test on it when its cold?
Best,
Jim
Buzz test only checks for an electrical connection to the injectors. Contribution test tells you whether or not all 8 injectors are firing.

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 AM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerHauler View Post
Buzz test only checks for an electrical connection to the injectors. Contribution test tells you whether or not all 8 injectors are firing.
Yes but it also checks the injector solenoids. A problem that shows itself only when warm could be a problem with a solenoid. Heat changes resistance, clearances, etc. I would run a buzz test on a cold motor, warm it up and wait for it to die and run it again. I could be way off base on this but its an easy test to do without pulling the vc's.

BTW, a bad solenoid on one injector can kill a whole bank or even the IDM if it's bad enough. Got some experience with this

Best,
Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
TrailerHauler
Custom Trailer Sales
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
Yes but it also checks the injector solenoids.
Yes, part of the electrical connection to the injector. I guess I could've been a little less vauge.

I know where your going with the buzz test now, a wire that comes apart just enough when it warms up, to kill the connection. And you could check for it with a buzz test like you said, I didn't understand you at first.

I hate wiring problems!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 99
00powersmoke, 01str88, 02 CCSB, 02f300, 02psd, 05Kfx400, 1badstroke, 1craneguy, 2000f350v10, 2000SD, 4duggan, 7.3PowerStroke, 96Powerstrokin, addison, barber97powerstroke, big white7.3, BIG_RED, bill4d, Blowby, Blueovalloyalist1993, Bobs 7.3, bourneenterprises, bpa658, Brasquatch, bulldog01, Bushwakd, calcity, casper7.3, ccf350stroker, CGMKCM, Chewii, chrisreedtn, cj45lc, cmt9399, co04cobra, cota, Country, CSIPSD, darrell401, darriel63, Dieselgeek, dieselman64, dslcat, fawbc, fordman2121, Fro_911, ftrav, george german, gottagofast, Heavy, HondaTypeRk20, injected79, isootmypants, JerseyJim, jerseyrob119, jimselden, Jordy53, JS98, jtaylor115, jtmiller, k-bmiller, kainers, kvmushroom, littlewoody, madtired1469, MikeHawk509, mjcolemn, mooseinabox, nielsencc86, NorCalDiesel, procomp, PSDEng, PSDfan99, ptm22, r00ster, RandyS, RidgeBoy, Rob, rsbhunter, shvlhead78, skippy, Southern.girl, speeddemon31176, stackedstroker, sticky, strokinak, superdave50, tecelec1, TimmyNiewald11, tonka350, TrailerHauler, warrenferry, wfstell, white97350, whytry, WichitaF250, wicked_four_play, WishinIwerFishin, Young-SC-Owner