Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Axle wrap or differential

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OuchThatHurt 
#1 ·
Ok, im trying to narrow this down before i start buying stuff thats not needed. I bought the truck this way :/ For suspension the rear has a 4" block under 4 leafs. I'm guessing its an aftermarket leaf setup. Now, when i accelerate.. strong or slow... I get a bouncing/vibrating feeling in my rear end (no ****) I have felt axle wrap before and it does feel like that... but I have also felt a ring and pinion out of wack and it feels like that as well. At higher speeds, say from 50 mph I can wot and I dont feel it. I'm afraid to launch it to see if its really bad.. .to determine if its def axle wrap. In 4wd it is barely noticable... even launching. It there and wear sign or something I can look at, besides pulling the rear diff cover? The U bolts and all the hardware are tight...

I'm in a super remote location, only way out of town is a plane or a boat. So having someone drive it that knows what to look for is outta the question. I called a shop in anchorage, and the guy told me axle wrap for sure... blah blah blah, get tractions bars. I have a buddy in town thats running 37's and isnt having any problems, even with 6" blocks.

Thanks in advance
-Don

#2 ·
You could remove the magnetic fill plug on the rear axle to see if there is an excessive amount of metal on it. A light metal dust and a small chunk or two is ok. If there is a lot of large chunks there may be a problem with the rear.

As far as axle wrap or not. When in 4wd the front axle is pulling so it will reduce the load on the rear axle and will reduce the amount of axle wrap in the rear axle.

The rear axle is probably twisting up enough that the u joints are becoming misaligned and causing the shuddering feeling.

Aaron

#5 ·
Check the center support bearing angle. If its a two piece driveshaft, and lifted you probably need to drop the center bearing mount by about half the amount of the lift kit height. 4" lift drop the support about 1-1/2 " to start. Should get rid of it. Just did two trucks. Shorter wheelbase shudders worse than a longer one from this. Could be axle wrap too, but at least check it out.

#7 ·
Thanks all. I'm gonna try hangin a vid. camera under the bed and record a couple launches. I am also gonna pull the diff cover becuase i wnt to check for metal chunks and also see what gears is has. Runnin 40" tires im pullin 2K rpm at 60 mph. That doesnt seem right to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.