Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Vibration noise with clutch out

20K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Ajkief 
#1 ·
I have searched but havent come up with much. I bought my truck a few months ago. It had a vibration/rattling noise at low rpm with the clutch engaged. It is worst at idle. As soon as you push the clutch in, it goes away. Which pointed me in the direction of the throwout bearing. Well, the tranny locked up a month or so ago, so I had to take it apart before I had planned to. I got a new zf5, replaced the throwout bearing while I had the tranny off. The old bearing was messed up, very sloppy and felt dry when you spun it. I got the truck back together, and the noise was still there. The truck got a new clutch shortly before I bought it, single mass, I dont know what brand. The clutch did look fresh when I was in there, as it wasnt dirty at all. So I have read a few posts about these single mass flywheels being louder because they are unsprung and dont dampen at all. Could this rattling noise be something I am going to have to live with, which is fine. Or do you guys think this is something that needs attended to? New tranny and current clutch shift great. Just has a pretty loud rattle at idle and low rpm. It isnt consistent either, it comes and goes, sometimes louder than other times.

96 F250
ZF5
(unknown brand) single mass flywheel

I may have forgotten some details, thats the jist of it though. I'd appreciate any thoughts, im out of ideas on this one. And I'd rather not pull this thing apart again, its my daily at the moment.

See less See more
#4 ·
Swamp Ratt, I didnt pull the pressure plate. I just left the clutch alone. That is the only other thing I came up with is that the pilot is messed up.

Topshelf, I dont know what clutch is in it. I'll see if I can find out.

#10 ·
ive used 80w90 in every hand shaker ive ever had. seems like they shift better (except when cold haha) but i feel it to be better for the gears then atf

#15 ·
Redline MTF and I put four quarts. Not sure it makes it quieter but is quality oil and syncroes seemed to like it prior to full rebuild. Just had full rebuild with 480,000 kilometers on it and switched it into sig truck used Redline again. Might be the pilot bearing how many miles on it?

The SB I just put in had a Kevlar pilot and not sure how long that will last. Previous clutch was a Luk and had excellent service from that and it had a roller bearing pilot on it.

I just accept the fact these S mass systems will be noisier....

jrc

#16 ·
I had a idea about the noise we are hearing.

Is the dual mass flywheel thicker then the single flywheel?

If so there would be a gap between the pressure plate ant the throw out bearing. not much but maybe a enough to allow the throw out to rattle as it spins.

If this is the case a taller pivot pin for the fork may help.

Just a thought that popped into my head as i listen to the noise this am.

Any on have a dual and single fly wheel laying around? maybe measure how thick they are and let us know.

#18 ·
just wish i knew for a fact what it is, it does seem to go quieter after ive drove like 20 miles or more,,,it had 172000, i just wonder if the bearing was done with the clutch or if they took a short cut, and didnt change it out, some on here say that chattering sound is a bad deal and could strip out the whole input shaft, if that happens then what?

what do those grooves on the shaft connect up to?

#19 ·
When you did your clutch did you check your clutch fork pivot ? After replacing my clutch with a southbend unit and replacing that pivot the rattle stopped . Mine was so worn out it would walk right off the pivot if no pressure was applied to to the slave and rattle around .

#23 ·
Mines doing it also.. But its because when I fixed my input shaft i never sat the bearing breloads in the trans and it makes the noise now.. Even in gear driveing at some speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.