Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Extang Full Tilt installed QUESTION????

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
My Christmas present came, just a couple days too late to use it.... (My fault) I didn't get the wife the information she needed to order it in time.
She's a dang good woman though!
Here are pics, and I have a question about it.

On these two, does anyone know how tight it's supposed to latch? As you can see, there's about a 1/4" (Both sides) between the latch and bedside. It will lift up on each corner as seen in the other picture.... Any ideas?
It actually lifts more than it looks like, because I used the extra corner pads they give you, to see if that would help any,, it doesn't.

See less See more
#3 ·
BTW, It looks nice other than the gap. I'm trying to pick out a cover that will let me leave my toolbox. I found a couple with integrated boxes, but they cost about 2500 bucks and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that.

#4 ·
Extang sells a tool box cover, that works with any standard 20" tool box they said.
I also MADE one to fit my early 99, it was really quite easy. I had a cheaper tonneau on it.
Here are pics,

I took the tonneau, cut the sides down, (Cut off the forward section, they are tapered some) After I cut the framework, I took a piece of aluminum angle, 2" I think. I bolted that to the tool box in two spots. This provided a place for the front of the frame to rest on. Once I had the frame secure. I snapped the cover on from the rear forward. Cleanly cut the vinyl so it would overlap the front frame piece about 4" I folded it under the frame, doubled it and took another small piece of 1/2 or 3/4" aluminum flat stock and used it to hold the vinyl. I screwed it down into the front frame, underneath/inside the cover. If you'll notice I also did what many of the companies do now. I took some of those straps, (Mine had the squeeze lock mechanism) and ran one underneath the flatstock on each side. Only left about 2" sticking out, the buckle end. That way when it was rolled up I could hold it there. It worked great. (Can't sit here and say it was 100% water proof, but that wasn't my main concern. It kept most of the elements out)
I bet you could find a used one on Craigslist cheap. That way you wouldn't be cutting up allot of money. (I THINK most of the companies soak you for the full price on a "Tool box" tonneau! Even though there's less material.... LOL

#5 ·
Hmmm. Looks nice. I hadn't thought about modding one. I've been looking at the retractible ones that roll up in a box, but the box is nearly as large as my toolbox so I'd been hitting a brick wall there. About how much time does it take to roll it up so you could haul something tall? It looks like there are ribs underneath that for support. Do they come out fairly quick?

Yeah, really they also charge retail on the toolbox too. And its not even polished! just painted black.

#6 ·
The ribs come out very easily, they are usually just laying in a groove, or my Extang has tabs. The ends are spring loaded, Pull one end in about an inch, then lift out. I could have the ribs out, end piece off and tonneau rolled up in 5 minutes easily. You just have to lay the 4 or 5 pieces, (ribs and end piece) in the bed. Or in the cab. Or leave them home,, how ever you want.

The modification was really quite easy. The ONLY thing that made it look "Non factory" is the front corners, I had to fold them, but you had to look to notice.

#7 ·
OK, thanks for the advice. Sorry about de-railing your help thread. definitely looks like the smallest/best price combo. I just won't get to put bedrails on it, but ah well. Thanks again and good luck getting yours tightened down.

#10 ·
The cover should latch snug. You will have to remove some of the plastic spacers to get the latch to contact the underside of the bed rail. On mine I have a different amount of spacers on each side.

#11 ·
Got it straight now! It's tight.
Can't believe I didn't notice those white spacers were individual. They looked like one solid piece,,, :doh: Well, at least yesterday they did, today it was obvious they weren't! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.