Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Carnage from plowing

9K views 73 replies 18 participants last post by  johnday 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Driver went off the road late last night or early this morning...got it out about 3 this after noon....

Post up your stuck and broken pics...

See less See more
#2 ·
Driver went off the road late last night or early this morning...got it out about 3 this after noon....

Post up your stuck and broken pics...
Litter Truck?

#10 ·
Wow we have lost front plows off the trucks but never had that happen that I know of.We only have the front plow 4inches off the ground or so and let the belly blade do the rest.Of course you get a dumb azz that likes to use the front plow do it all even though there is no give in them and they tear 6ft chunks out of the end of someones concrete driveway and the county has to replace it.Glad I don't work there anymore sometimes.I just can't stand stupid people like that.We also had a guy that lifted his box up all the way and says he didn't realize it and dumped the whole load of sand salt in the middle of the road.Almost killed a woman on her way to work in the early morning.They at least fired his dumb azz.

#13 ·
Geez, and to think the season has only just begun.

We did have a county truck loose his belly blade the other day. It was still laying on the side of the road when I went by this morning. Since we really haven't had much snow, they're moving what is there into the potholes on the gravel/dirt roads. I need a job like that!:D

#14 ·
We already had a driver "cartwheel" his wing this year on a 4 inch storm. He dropped the nose of the wing first when he was moving dug in and ripped it off the truck. So I had a nice 16 mile round trip in the backhoe to go get it load it into the back of the 1 ton dump. Seems like if there is a way to break it all you gotta do is find the right guy and he will show you how it's done....

#15 ·
3 years ago one of the local sander contractors was sanding with the body lifted on his brand new peterbuilt triaxle. he forgot he was in a tri and not a tandem, and hit a traffic stanchion, ripping it and all the power wires down across a 6 lane. as the power wires went down, they also snapped 6 power poles.
he ripped the body off the truck, and the highway was closed for 12 hours.

the truck had 400 miles on it when it happened.

#16 ·
That's not just embarrassing , it's heartbreaking as well.

A couple years ago, I was clearing a concrete drive that I'd never seen before then. There's a lot of trees around here, and some grow pretty close to driveways. Here I am, first cut going down the drive, and BANG!! Geez, stopped my tractor on the spot with tires still turning. The tree right next to the drive had grown under the concrete and lifted a section about 1". Would've been nice if the homeowner had said something!! But nooooo! Luckily I was going slow enough nothing got broken.;)

#23 ·
That's not just embarrassing , it's heartbreaking as well.

A couple years ago, I was clearing a concrete drive that I'd never seen before then. There's a lot of trees around here, and some grow pretty close to driveways. Here I am, first cut going down the drive, and BANG!! Geez, stopped my tractor on the spot with tires still turning. The tree right next to the drive had grown under the concrete and lifted a section about 1". Would've been nice if the homeowner had said something!! But nooooo! Luckily I was going slow enough nothing got broken.;)
Oh I love my trip blade for things like that.

#21 ·
Ours is the same vintage but it's a 426. For some reason it doesn't like to be driven more than a few miles at a time without heating up the trans. I usually pull over and let it hassle for a little bit.

Makes driving it down the street less than comfortable always wondering when I'm going to nuke the trans. We've put a converter in it once after it completely stopped moving. Helped, but this machine's never had a very positive link between the engine and the tires. The term "slush box" fits nicely.

#22 ·
Wow, amazing the difference between machines. Our's is nothing like that. The only issues we've really had with it are the brakes. They seem to be the weakest link in the machine. The transmission doesn't seem to heat up to bad on ours when roading it. Is your 426 4x4 or 2x4? Ours is a 2x4 if yours is a 4x4 I wonder if that is the difference?

#26 ·
Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to tear into ours next week. Storm coming in tomorrow for us they say, so I'm sure I'll have more interesting pics first of next week if we get anything at all.
Side note, the pic of the stuck truck....well been rebuilding the transmission this week, he managed to take out r-1-2-6....

#27 ·
Well, got the tranny done and back in this morning. Funny thing, went to pull it out and discovered there were more issues at hand. Rear end issues, so pulled out the pig, but first of pulled the drain plug....nothing....until you stick a screwdriver up there and more the pieces out of the way. So now we have the pig out and the ring and pinion look good except every bolt is missing out of the ring, well tearing it down the bearing look OK, no issues with the ring and pinion however when we took the spider gear apart we found the issue....Have a look...

#30 ·
Back when I was a bodyshop manager at International, we had a local township that had a Bridge that was at an angle over a small creek and the expansion joint was the same angle as the blade. Blade hit in the joint and bent the frame, broke the Allison trans almost in half. It was bad. We repaired the truck, and the same driver did it again going the other direction the next year. FYI, drivers name was Buzz.

This year in town a plow hit the overhead light on the side of the road, not sure if a side blade for ditches or something not raised up. But he took out 3-5 of the light, over a side rail.

#37 ·
We have one of them there Cadillac of trucks haha! (not my stuck I swear)

Some of these pictures are scary, I'm probably one of the youngest truck drivers here and to have done a good amount of ice road driving in the North. Have yet to do anything besides get stuck in the few inches of snow in the fields. Not being cocky however . . . I know it's only a matter of time before I get a story to share LOL

Random driver from a year or two ago:

#39 ·
Correct, the later LTL's had the same dash as in the L series.
We have one of them there Cadillac of trucks haha! (not my stuck I swear)

Some of these pictures are scary, I'm probably one of the youngest truck drivers here and to have done a good amount of ice road driving in the North. Have yet to do anything besides get stuck in the few inches of snow in the fields. Not being cocky however . . . I know it's only a matter of time before I get a story to share LOL

Random driver from a year or two ago:

The L series is a very rugged truck, they get around pretty good and surprisingly handle fairly well.

You will have plenty of stories once you get the miles put on, just be glad your still around to talk about them!

#38 ·
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/westcoast13/IMG_1104.jpg[/IMG]

Ha, don't worry, you'll have plenty of stories in a few years, more than anyone wants to hear. People don't realize we don't usually talk to ourselves, and save it for when we're around some poor victim.LOL
I never saw a hopper bottom emptied like that, but it does make sense. Maybe I'll be a grain/fertilizer driver somewhere around March.:evil

#41 ·
This is my truck...big power...250 cat with a 5 speed tranny 2 speed rear end. 14 yard sander...

We have one other wheeler and 2 single axle's. We bought 2 more ex state trucks at the last auction but have not put them together yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.