Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4x4 mph!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
What's the fastest you can drive when in 4x4hi without causing any damage to the drivetrain? I looked in the owners manual but couldn't find it in there. Thanks!

#4 ·
That's what i was thinking a safe speed would be. I haven't driven over 60mph in 4hi and i just moved here to Mo. from So Cal. so this will be the first time I'll be driving in winter conditions.

#6 ·
It doesnt really matter how fast you go in 4wd the driveshafts are balanced just like the rear, just dont be stupid and try to turn it on going down the highway.

I dont recomend even using the auto 4wd without the hubs locked in manually at any speed, i trashed a set of very expensive hubs doing it this way, i always leave my hubs locked in the winter, as long as the transfercase isnt locked in it turns fine.

#11 ·
I had mine happen going down the high way and I guess one hub lost vacuum.

I purchased MM manual hubs, if the roads are slick I lock them in before I go and not worry bout it....I guess it gives me a bit of peace of mind.

Oh when there is no traffic I usually go the speed limit on the interstate if its snow packed.... and yes ya cant stop any faster hahahhaha

#9 ·
If you're asking about for racing, the answer is "as fast as you can go in the 1/4". Don't worry about trying to switch back to 2wd during your pass - the system won't disengage when you're at full power.

#10 ·
I was about to say you guys do realize they are run into the triple digits all day long on the track. DD with turns ect is not about the transfer case stress as much as safety. There is no top speed limit that I know of. What parts in the axle dif hubs or transfer case would be a concern about damage as long as its limited traction so the wheels can slip.

#12 ·
I think the record is like 135mph so far. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.