Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lower Dually, 4" Exhaust, Towing a trailer.

985 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fordfreak4life 
#1 ·
Quite some time ago I lowered my truck and took the bump stops out of the rear. I had a 304SS 4" ehaust on there. I took a little trip to deliver a ranger to someone around August of 2007. When I got there I noticed the exhaust pointing at the ground. Towed a few trailers a few more times until I decided to take the pipe off and just run it straight.

Turns out that a Dana 80 is alot wider than a 10.5 axle. And the sway bar doesn't help anything either. All of the exhausts on the market weren't really designed for my application. Now for the best part.

I had put pads on there back around 86k miles. I'm at 150k now. I had checked them the other day and had seen the left side getting a little thin. Got some pads. And caught it just as the left side made a little grinding noise. Not a big deal. Put it on the brake lathe. 150k miles. Still above minimum thickness. Good to go. Get over to the right side. Still have plenty of pad left. Went to compress the caliper. No go. Took a look at the metal brake line on the axle tube. From the axle coming in contact with the exhaust, It pinched the brake line going ot the right rear caliper. Finally got the caliper compressed. Got the new pads in. Ready to rock.

The funny part to this. Everyone that has ever driven my truck has always said how great the brakes were. Now to find out that it had only been using 3 of them, I'm quite happy with the performance especially getting 64k miles from 1 rear caliper based on how I drive.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.