Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4R100 with tall tires and gears

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  8inchstroker 
#1 ·
I have been giving some thought to tire and gear size and trans problems. The 7.3 has a good reputation for engine life but poor trans life due to cooling.
I have a side thought that may be too little to worry over but my thought is this:
With 5:13:1 and 46"" tires I am running 1600RPM at 75 in OD. This requires a fair bit of torque which my 7.3 gives gladly but it seems the trans is just past the "engage" point. What is the "lock" or engaged" RPM of a factory converter? Could my trans be running in the slip zone due to too little RPM? I am installing a Banks trans module along with my brand new ford installed trans and there seems to be little info on exactly what the banks does and how. There is also very little about the Banks torque converter.

Anyone have any insight or know if there is a Torque converter out that "locks up" at lower RPM? I fear the LOW PRM may cause some slippage and be part of the tranny failure. :ford:

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Found some good advice from these folks. pretty generous with infoabout thier stuff.

#5 ·
????????????? WTF's that all about?

#7 ·
I do see that the torque converter link I wanted to post is missing .. besides that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.