Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oils. Purple or not.

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Coueshunter 
#1 ·
I got a 96 PSD and have been thinking about synthetic oils. Ive read on another PSD site that Royle Purple is not a good choice and every one is raving about AMS oil. Has anyone used RP oil? What about AMS? The only reson I ask is Im cheap and that I can get a hold of RP oil easier and cheaper then AMS. The more input the better, thanks.:doh:

#2 ·
RP has horrible results. I havent and wont use it, iv seen plenty of other people's UOA with royal purple that were bad. Schaeffers or Amsoil and you cant go wrong. Valvoline also has had some good results. Delo or motorcraft would be better than royal purple. RP is junk, nothing more than a marketing gimic IMO

#3 ·
i have not personally run royal purple but my buddy with a cummins does. and i know someone who uses amsoil. my buddy has had greast results with RP. he puts 10k on his oil. the first 3 oil changes he sent in a sample every 2500 miles. they still said he had about 45% oil life left around 10k miles. i personally use delo 400. RP is expensive. also the other guy i know that uses amsoil swears by it. but do not much about it myself.

#16 ·
AMSOIL works good for me.

You can run either year round if you want, or switch out. I switched to 5W-40 this winter, I'll see what time of year it is when I'm due for the next change before I decide what weight to go with next.

If you are pulling heavy alot during the summer I would recomend the 15W-40 though.

#6 ·
anyone use brad penn racing oil`s ive been using them in my race car for a while and had great results 22 more hp at the wheels and less bearing wear than with rotella 15w40 in my 8500 rpm small block chevy drag car

supposed to be 1500ppm of zinc and 1340-1400ppm of phosphorus seems like that since its not A STREETT LEGAL OIL TAHT it would be great ina old diesel trucks that were designed for those levells of zddp and would help them last longer compared to the new age oil that are very low zddp levels

#7 ·
I'd definetely Stay away from Royal Purple garbage after all the reports of terrible UOA results.

I use been using Amsoil 15W-40 in summer and Amsoil 5W-40 DEO in my 95' for 10 years.
The truck is much smoother running and it's easier to start in the winter compared to Rotella Conventional.

Rotella T6 Synthetic would be another oil to look at, my father in law has had great results in his powerstroke with it.

#8 ·
I believe Brad Penn oil is the old Kendall oil. IIRC the Kendall name was bought by Conoco a while ago. That was good stuff my dad used it in all his equipment for as long as I can remember. Personally I use Schaeffers everywhere in everything, likely the best oil you can get today. I would use cheap no name oil before I ever put RP in anything I own!

#10 ·
before i switched to bradd pen i was replacing con rod bearings and mains every 30-40 passes after going to bradd penn i made 115 passes and they all look new still, and as and added bonus my oil pressure is more stable and it uses less oil then before

#11 ·
If you are running normal synthetic currently would it be okay to switch to Bradd Penn 15W-40 partial synthetic oil?

#12 ·
thats what i did and had no issues w seals or anything

#15 ·
Resistance to shearing is a big deal in Powerstroke oils. We're pushing oil through the HPOP at 3000 psi so it takes a good oil to hold up. I'm not sure if that's where Royal Purple is weak at, but I believe Shaeffer's 7000 is among the best. That's what I run and it still shears down pretty good by 5,000 miles.

#20 ·
And why would a manufacturer (who all have their own brand of lubricant BTW) recomend some other brand that they have no affiliation with (read don't get money from)?
It's common sense. They will recomend the product that will make them money.

#21 ·
:whs:
same reason a ford dealer told me my delo 15-40 is junk and said I should only run motorcraft

#23 ·
Prolly cuz the rest of the manufacturers pay them to be on the list.

#24 ·
Once again idiotic statements! ITS FREE submit your oil, get it tested and your approved. THEY WANT approved oils. Cuts out legal crap later. You take Allisons or any list and they have thousands of companies you have NEVER heard of VERY SMALL companies in some instances.
Costing a ton of money is AMSOILS excuse. NO ONE elses! these smaller companies much smaller then Amsoil have 3-10 oils approved for some specs... how could they afford to do that.. THEY COULDNT!!!

ANy other ignorant statements want to be made?

#26 ·
Im not an oil expert. AT ALL.. I have trouble deciding. But I do start with a great honest company. Not a pyramid scheme who smokes and mirrors all their customers.

I usually pick up Mobil 1 synthetic. I have also used Swepco products which youll never hear on here but they are VERY good quality products!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.