Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Elmore's Procharger 6.0 Updates from GoGo Diesel

151K views 835 replies 145 participants last post by  RescueF250 
#1 ·
So I have been taking some things apart. I have also been taking pictures. Actually taking alot of pictures.

Here is what was on the truck...

Since Danny was popping boots. It was thought to be a good idea to bolt things together and a bar had been added. However, one side was drilled and tapped into the elbow.

The other side had a nut welded to the pipe with a bolt. However, that bolt was only in there a couple of threads. And those were stripped. But there were 3 washers to shim it.

Here we have the stock elbow. It exudes a level of high performance that one doesn't typically see on a vehicle of this stature. Like high profile, public builds.

I figured surely the stock butterfly would have been removed. It is an 04 truck and some of them had them. They do have 2 screws to take them out. However, to my surprise and amazement. This is what I found.

Well now all of that dogsh!t is in the garbage. The replacement is something that is bright and shiny. I had an old elbow from Aaron at Intake Elbows. And I just happend to have a box full of 3" O-Ringed v-band flanges. We can now ditch the retarded bar and have something that would flow a little better.

More to come...

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Danny Elmore's High Performance Intake Elbow...

If you are fabricating tubing and used a v-band at the turbo. Why not buy a couple more and put one on the stock elbow if you are so fond of it and then put one on the tube from the intercooler to the engine?

#7 ·

I've personally pulled all nighters by myself getting Dannys old truck running. I have no problem saying that on 24-26 hour stints with zero sleep I never pulled any jacked up sh!t like that. LOL

#8 ·
Danny Elmore's Crankcase Ventilation (Sorta...)

Next up in the disassembly... Long ago it was found that to keep the intercooler and engine clean from oil deposits you would reroute the crankcase vent to the atmosphere. After some testing on my end, I found that a 3/8 hose was not sufficient and AT LEAST 5/8 needed to be used to get adaquate flow from the valve cover. I'm not quite sure what the flow rating on this is...

More to come...

#11 ·
Danny Elmore's Head Light Air Temperature Sensor...

6.0L Powerstroke introduced Mass Air Flow sensors to diesel. The only ones not to have them are some 05 trucks. On an 05 truck that doesn't have a Mass Air Flow sensor air density is calculated using Manifold Air Pressure and Intake Air Temperature. Intake air temp on those trucks have a dedicated Intake Air Temp sensor where the MAF sensor would be. This is an 04 truck.

A little Ford history. Mass Air Flow has been around for a number of years. As early as 1987 California Emissions Mustangs. From 1987 to roughly 200ish the MAF sensor had been a 4 wire sensor. It was switched to a 6 wire sensor when the seperate Intake Air Temp sensor was integrated into the MAF.

After finding some codes for MAF in the truck, I investigated and this is what I found...

MAF sensors are calibrated in a sample tube. Change the tube size and your MAF table needs to be rescaled in the tune. Remember the old AFE intake problems with MAF sensors in the wrong place like 6 years ago? MAF sensors also like to have some good distance before them and after them to get a good sample. This one isn't happy. And the Procharger isn't happy either with that K&N there. To give you an example, the airaid filter for a 6.0L is claimed to flow 1406CFM. The Procharger here is rated to move 1850 at max rpm.

I looked at the MAF and found only 4 wires in the connector...

WTF is going on here? We do have a 6 pin MAF right? Yes we do. IAT is in this thing right? Yes it is. Why isn't it being used?

Ok so where are the missing wires? Well I happend to find an Intake Air Temp sensor like what an 05 non MAF truck has. It was hiding behind the driver's side headlight. Peek-A-Boo, I see you. And I also see that Danny doesn't have fog lights. Hence the other connector that isn't connected down there...

Apparently when the harness was extended there must have only been enough wire to extend 4 of the wires. So an air temp sensor and connector was taken from another vehicle and spliced in and then tossed down behind the headlight...

Have to see what happens when you convert this thing to blow through and possibly use a slot style sensor from an 05+ Mustang.

#18 ·
Re: Danny Elmore's Head Light Air Temperature Sensor...

Is it just the angle of the pic or is the 90* bend in the turbo discharge pipe in this pic NOT mandrel? It looks like it was bent with an exhaust pipe bender. Am I seeing that right?

Have to see what happens when you convert this thing to blow through and possibly use a slot style sensor from an 05+ Mustang.
Interesting.....How many blow through 6.0s are running around? Not many (or none) I'd imagine.

#14 ·

I'm speechless.....:(

Seriously, WTF???!!! We can't decipher a wiring diagram so let's start hacking?

Danny, I feel for you bud. I really do. I would be mortified if I found out somone hacked on my truck that bad. All the other issues were just assinine. I can't come up with a fitting word bad enough for this.

Sounds like it won't be long until we find out what the Procharger truck can really do! Keep up the good work Doug!

#28 ·
#20 ·

The washers and stuff were my doing. Now you know why I don't work on my own stuff. :D

#418 ·

The washers and stuff were my doing. Now you know why I don't work on my own stuff. :D

Some how I get the feeling we will have a post like this from danny for at least 2/3 of this. It is comical though that the oil pan was painted with a logo and not fixed though

#22 ·

Actually I'm the one that extended those wires. Those were the only ones on it. :shrug: And yes, I know i need a new/better air filter. I was gonna eventually redo that whole set-up but never got around to it. Once again, now you can see why I shouldn't work on my truck. LOL

#30 ·

Once again, now you can see why I shouldn't work on my truck. LOL
It's in good hands now. :D

#23 ·
Re: Danny Elmore's Crankcase Ventilation (Sorta...)

Lol. I can't remember if that was my doing also or not, but I'm pretty sure it was. :hehe: I actually saw the kink a while back and meant to correct it but forgot about it.

#26 ·

Gates hose.

#27 ·

gotta be careful with that danny, the first time i went ot drive my truck with a single turbo i had done kinda the same thing and kinked the hose... well the crankcase pressure found a way out... thru the turbo seals :doh: ruined that mofo in a hurry!

#29 ·

gotta be careful with that danny, the first time i went ot drive my truck with a single turbo i had done kinda the same thing and kinked the hose... well the crankcase pressure found a way out... thru the turbo seals :doh: ruined that mofo in a hurry!

Ouch. Good to know. I know it wasn't completely kinked though. I could see/smell it when I'd stop. I had cut it short to right around the driver's door after the transfer case had damaged it when it went out.

#36 ·
Doug has forgotten more about the 6.0 than most shops have ever known.
I'd say it's at the right place.
Actually...he hasn't forgotten anything...pretty sure that gu has a photographic memory.

#37 ·
I was gonna saay the same thing. I know a LOT of shops call him for info and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.