Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oversized ball joints

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Does anybody make an oversized ball joint for the Super Duty? I don`t like using them but I need one to get me through for a month or so. I know Moog makes them for quite a few vehicles but none of the local parts stores knows about them (or regular ball joints for that matter). I developed a clunk the last few days and found the inner C on my left front lower balljoint is wallowed out. I can get a reamer from work and need my truck right now. My car just puked a head gasket so my truck can not be down for long. I am working 7 days a week so I really don`t have time to swap out the whole axle right now. I am going to put an D60 under it when I find one and have a little more time.

#2 ·
and how could you not notice that the ball joint was bad or was moving in the knuckle before it fuked it all up? seems like if it had room to wallowed it out you would notice pretty quick

#3 ·
Never made a noise until wednesday. When I first got the truck that ball joint had been loose at one time so I suspect the hole was wounded when I got the truck. Found some info on the oversized ball joints and it appears the wrong end is oversized.

ON EDIT It has very little movement. It just makes a little noise if I hit a large pothole.

#6 ·
Unfortunately ball joints will not fix this. The inner C on the end of the housing has a bad hole. The tapered hole that the bottom ball joint comes up through is elongated. I bought a Dana 60 that I will be picking up and installing during the holidays.

#7 ·
Why are Dana 60s so cheap for Super Duties? When I used to buy 78-79 D60s you were lucky to find them for $1000. I bought one today out of 04 F250 with 78,000 miles complete for $400.

#10 ·
The unit bearings and high steer options as well as ball joints. Personally I like the newer ones and there are now a number of highsteer options for them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.