Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which Mud Terrain

16K views 70 replies 43 participants last post by  powerlifter405 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a great performing Mud terrain that will also have longevity because these things aren't cheap :). I'm mainly going for an aggressive look, but I live near the mountains and go off road for work purposes; so the mud terrains will see off road usage on occasion. Here are what I've heard and seen to be good so far, please give me feedback!:

Mickey Thompson ATZ's
Toyo Open Country MTs
Nitto Trail Grapplers
Cooper SSTs
Hankooks MTs
All Input Welcome!

#8 ·
i pulled this from another MT thread:
Everyone has a different opinion...and I base mine off of my own personal experiences....

And somehow Toyo suckered someone into labeling them MT's......TOYO MT's suck offroad,...they should be labeled AT's at best.

They may be good offroad on something small like a Jeep,...but they blow mounted on a full size truck.

They even make the best 4X4 ever built fail,..and it continue to fail all day......

Hummer with new 38" TOYO's
F250 pulled him out of mud, sand, and trails, ALL DAY LONG on worn 38" SSR's

And most times,..the F250 lead the way...and had to keep going back to get the Hummer unstuck.

stuck in sand

stuck on trail

stuck in mud(F250 had already went through)

moral of the story,...Toyo's are trailer queen tires,...and need to stay on the road....SS Boggers are the best, then Irok's,..then there are a ton of choices from there...

and here is another poor sap that went offroading with me and thought Toyo's were a good decision for offroad.

Are Toyo MT's actually a great "AT" tire....absolutely
Are Toyo MT's overpriced...absolutely
Are Toyo MT's well made, long lasting tires....absolutely
Are Toyo MT's good in mud(MT labeled sidewalls) on full size(7,500lbs+ truck).....uhhh...no

#9 ·
^so what was his suggestion for a good mud tire that's good all around since he wasn't fond of Toyo's? Thanks for all the posts...keep 'em coming, it's like trying to pick a tune...so much to read and review! :)

#10 ·
I have always used either Goodyear or Goodrich MT's. Excellent traction and self cleaning, but never got the miles of life that you guys are talking about. Started putting them on separate wheels and running them in winter only, averaging about four winters till ready to finnish off with summer driving. It just makes sense that with aggressive patterns and only half the tread surface in contact with the road, that mud tires will not last like a street tire.

#11 ·
I was runnin the Nitto Mud Grappler and loved em. They are a bit loud but its a cool sound, 38-15.50r18 sounds like your in a air plane at 75mph. They get great milage on em and wheel like no other. Ya they're expensive but they are worth it. And I will never buy another Mickey unless its a slick, I think I got 7500 miles out of my old MTZ's

#13 ·
I consulted several people that ran MT Baja Claws before I bought them. One had a 1/2ton chevy that got 60k and another chick(it gets better) who had a 2000 dodge sc/sb 2500 ctd tuned with a suncoast pulling box in it. She got 45k and then sold it and they were still decent. She was hot but I never got to take her for a spin of my own kind. We went shooting a couple times and she was a friggin marksman! She had TONS of droolworthy guns. The body on this girl! Woo weeeee...I met my wife and so I did the next best thing hook her up with my buddy who is a sniper in the armies special operational detachment alpha. He said she's all good.

Back on topic, even girls like MT baja claws.

#14 ·
^ha ha, sounds like a tough one to let go it, but yeah I just got married myself. I don't expect extreme high miles on MTs, but I want to at least get my moneys worth since their expensive.

I love to see the look on the H1 driver's face during/after the 250 had to pull him through everything...guess it shows how tires make a difference. I'm actually leaning towards the Trail Grapplers if they last long(long for a MT). They look great! I LOVE the look of the mud grappler, but I heard they don't last long? Any input on that...my tires will mainly for show, but I do trail a bit. I mainly only tow my bikes for events and vacations. I tow my boat on occasion, but it's not real heavy(it's only a 21ft I/O). Thanks guys, keep these inputs going...great reviews so far.

#15 ·
when i got my truck it had the baja claws and they wore good but sucked in the mud so i decided to put new wheels and tires and went with ss iroks radials those were the worst tires i have ever used only lasted about 10,000 miles now im using nitto mud grapplers and they are great balance nice go down the road good look good and do great things offroad as long as you have enough power to get them spinning they are very noisy too but great

#18 ·
Ok the qoute from me on post#8 was asking about a good "offroad" tire....and well...you see my opinion.......but...

....the OP of this thread asked for longevity with some offroad mixed in....and if price and longevity are thrown into the mix....then I say Toyo's(only because I don't have experience with Coopers)

Toyo's are reallllll pricey...but they last forever....Irok's are cheap in comparison....but they don't last long,...because their main purpose is TRACTION....

When selecting a perfect tire for YOU,...YOU have to decide what you want most.....traction, looks, wear, and price.....you can't have all 4 in the same tire...

to me, the perfect tire would be a 40" SS Bogger, has awesome on-road traction, as quiet as an AT tire, last's 60k miles, and costs $400 each.

.....but that isn't gonna happen....LOL

#19 ·
^thanks tank: you're correct, I want LOOKS, LONGEVITY, and PERFORMANCE(most on road, but hit the trails about two times a month) Thanks.

#21 ·
well I would be willing to sacrifice a little mileage life for better performance, but I'm not familiar with many MTs. The only ones I've ran in the past are Mickey thompson ATZs and Goodyear MTRs. I want a tire to at least last 35k miles if possible for the price tag on some of these MTs. I'd even settle for an aggressive AT if it performed real well. Thanks tank

My buddy has a 2002 F250 with mastercraft mud terrains and he likes them a lot...never seen anybody else but him run them though.

#23 ·
i say toyo mts. they were phenominal on my 06 duramax. only time i EVER got stuck with them was when i was high centered horribly or broke my front driveshaft

#24 ·
I have to go with the cooper stt's.I sold them to go to atz's and it was a mistake.I loved the stt's and they lasted forever.They had 27k on them and still were 15/32's tread left.Did great offroad as well as on road but were heavy.

#25 ·
I'll vouch for my Firestone Destination M/T's for durability and quality in the mud . . . I would however prefer 12" Mickey Thompson drag slick when it comes to snow though, as I discovered in the last few weeks, they do have a flaw, snow (and like any M/T, ice)! However when we had an extremely wet (muddy) farming year, I wouldn't have chosen any other tires to use down the mud-bogs of back roads I traveled. People thought my truck's ruts were from sprayers, hah!

#26 ·
I went with the cooper stt's and love them. They ride great on rode and pull well offroad. I was in some slippery mud just a few days ago and they cleaned out well. Several of my buddies run the same and love them.

I think I paid $1250 otd for my 35x12.50x17

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.