Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TrueTrac impressions

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
After reading, pondering and second guessing my decisions for months I ended up having a TrueTrac put in the d60 during the re-gear.I wanted something simple that worked. Didn't want to deal with air lines, compressors or cables.

I have now used it twice. The first was backing a small trailer up a pretty steep driveway. The guy had used rather large, baseball size, rocks for gravel. I had one slip and almost instantly you could feel the front end locked. The truck didn't slip, spin, nothing from that point on.

On to last night. We got a good amount of ice on the roads and bridges. Cars, trucks, big trucks were everywhere, all in the ditches, overturned, etc. The truck performed flawlessly. No weird steering issues etc.

I am quite please with the out come and as of right now would use the TrueTrac in a heartbeat.

#4 ·
Ive read this several times and it does have me wondering what exactly you mean and what should be done in order to avoid sliding over.

I ask because my truck is currently getting TrueTracs front and rear.
Thanks

#3 ·
Its in turns that it will do something screwy. It will send you jetting off in one direction. If you know it you can compensate but if you are not use to it or not paying attention it can put you in a ditch. IMO I think selectable locker is better in the front and true trac works very well for the 10.5. Glad you are happy with it and its working very well for you. In the end that is what matters.

#6 ·
I have one in the rear 10.25. Was wondering bout the front. I don't drive in the snow. I was thinking it would give me a better launch at the track. I have a d-60 thats going in soon so I mite get one for it, pricey? Same price as the rear ones?

#7 ·
With a full locker in the front, once locked a vehicle does not seem to want to turn, they want to push and pull the front end in a direction relative to the back axle, straight. I had a Rubicon Jeep with air lockers and know the effect well.

I did not experience this with the truetrac. As anyone knows with 4wd when making a very tight turn the vehicle seems to want to push but wil still turn. With the truetrac locked it was more of an exagerated happening like a standard 4wd. It did want to push a little more than an open diff but still did turn.

It acted tighter than a posi traction but less than a full on locker.

As for price I think I got it for the low $500s on e-bay.

#8 ·
Right thats what I also felt the issue is when that happens at speed in a turn like a cloverleaf and you all of a sudden go from open to that. With 4x4 engages its all the time so you feel it going into the turn and thru it. But with a LS that is quick like the true tac one second you are open the very next you are being pulled or pushed. like I said once you know its not hat big of a deal but it can catch you off guard and in the right situation with snow more so ice patches where you do get some traction in patches it can act weird.

#10 ·
Well, I haven't had it in snow but had no major problem with ice. Only sharp turns were even noticable and as stated above was just an over exagerated normal 4wd push.

As of right now I would purchase the truetrac again, no regrets on my part.

#13 ·
Definitely on my list to do. Atleast for the rear. I don't think they make a tru track for the d50 that I have found.

If the pushing really gets so bad, why not just unlock one hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.