Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

help please, stuck on side of road!!

7K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  ju015dd 
#1 ·
Truck fired up this am got 150 feet from home and lost oil pressure. Will idle but wont move to get me out ot the darn ditch I had to roll in to get out of road.

#4 ·
LOL first thing I checked. Oil level is good but hpop res is almost empty. What feeds the oil to the hpop res?

#5 ·
Low pressure oil pump.

#6 ·
LPOP

#8 ·
so lpop feed the resivoir. hmmmmmmmmm:( gonna go hook up the ae and see what icp doing.

#9 ·
most liekly lost a pick-up tube if there is no oil on the ground or in the coolant, or in the fuel.... Refill the Hpop reservoir, you will probably get an ICP reading and run for a minute or too... worse case, have someone sit in the engine bay and pour oil in the res as you drive it home... lol

#10 ·
icp doesn't matter at all if the hpop res is going empty..... if it's the pickup tube overfill the oilpan by a few quarts and you have a good chance of getting back in the driveway.... If that gets it home then you have the joy of pulling the engine ahead of you....

#13 ·
ok, filled the hpop res up and tried starting her. No luck then went back and pulled the plug again and hpop res was half empty. Isn't there a drain valve or such I can look at. Also, would I get any codes for this and lpop is brand new with engine rebuild only 5k old......

#14 ·
It is emptying through the injectors.... the reason it isn't filling and staying full is because oil isn't getting pumped into it

If you already have towed it home..... Add 2 quarts of oil to the oilpan and jack up the rear of the truck.... If it starts and runs then you have a failed pickup in the oil pan.... It's a fairly common failure and I had mine fail last summer

#15 ·
not gonna be able to jack up the rear of the truck where it sits. I got it home but nose is pointed up hill in front of house. I believe the pickup was replaced during rebuild too. I will have to check with him tomm. This sucks in so many ways............

#18 ·
so guys, I have either a bad new lpop, or a cracked pick up tube. Sure with I would have parked with nose of truck facing down the hill in front of house to rule out the pick up tube.

#21 ·
My vote is on the pickup tube. However, I would still check the LPOP first. It would suck to pull the motor just to find a bad LPOP.

#22 ·
yeap in the driveway thanks to the guys at working pulling her home and taking me to work. I was gonna add, I worked late last night and truck drove find as always home with no issues what so ever. This morning truck fired right up no issues and get around the corner to go to work and falls on it's face no oil press. Can a lpop just up and fail or is it a over time type of failure. Or does this sound more like a pick up tube issue. I will call the guy who did my work tomorrow and see if a new pick up tube was put in or not. He swears up and down that a new lpop was used and was installed correctly and like I said there is over 4k on this rebuild.

#24 ·
I have been doing some reading and seems there is a check valve or something that might could be stuck open letting the oil go straight back to pan as lpop is pushing it in. Could this be a possibility? If so where exactly is this check valve?

#27 ·
I spoke with the builder today and he thinks I may have an injector oring issue. He said I am pushing oil past the injector(s) to fast for the lpop to keep up with the demand .... Anyone ever heard of this?

#31 ·
Look in your fuel bowl. What color is your filter. If you have bad injector o-rings you should see a black oily filter.

Also, if you're able to occasionally get it to run, then get AE on it and watch ICP and IPR DC, hopefully it will fail while you're recording the run..

#32 ·
no luck getting it to run as of yet, keeps sucking the oil out the res too fast.

#33 ·
hpop is all gear driven.There is nothing that will keep the pump from not pumping.The IPR is commanded closed/open to produce PSI to the rails.The computer knows the psi from the ICP.

The oil psi would be on oil filter housing.This is going to be a starting point other than pulling the motor or going hog wild with part swapping.She isn't building lpop for a reason.Need to find that reason.Your problem is going to be with the LPOP,Pickup,bearings,cracked block.I don't think it will be anything involving the HPOP IPR Injectors.

#34 ·
Gonna tow the truck around the block and get her facing downhill to rule out the pickup tube here soon. Hope it does end up being the lpop over any of the alternitives......

#35 ·
got the truck lifted in the rear to cover pick up tube. Still not getting oil to the hpop res................ I just can't see how a new lpop could fail. I guess anything is possible though. How far does the truck need to be up in the air to get the oil to cover the pick up tube? I am on a pretty good decline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.