Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone else disappointed with how fast there cabs rusting?

2K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Bryrylan 
#1 ·
Anyone else disappointed with how fast there cabs rusting?I need cab corners and under the cabs looking crusty...the bottoms of my doors are starting. I know shes an 02 but damn. I wash the salt off it with hot water after a snow or at least go and use the pay and spray wash. Anyone else on here having bad luck?

end rant :doh:

#4 ·
Who me nope not at all..

^^ Front bed support

]

Cab corners are next, followed by ext cab doors which aren't looking so hot on the bottom. Under the cab is very solid, as is the frame. Oh, and I took those pics of the bed as I removed it to put a new one on.

#8 ·
Hate to break it to you, but that rust is coming from the back side. Poke that bubble with something, and it'll go right through. Ford designed the trucks to rust out above the wheel wells. There is a foam strip between the layers of sheet metal.

THATS WHY MY TRUCK HAS THE FLATBED. The cross member rotted threw completely the only thing holding the bed up was my 5th wheel hitch bracket. and the wheel wells started to bubble

Yeah, mine was bad. It had the shakey shakeys, especially with the toolbox. When I took the bed off, I went to cut the old one up. Made two vertical cuts on the front wall, and it fell right out.

#7 ·
THATS WHY MY TRUCK HAS THE FLATBED. The cross member rotted threw completely the only thing holding the bed up was my 5th wheel hitch bracket. and the wheel wells started to bubble

#9 ·
my bed is rustier than hell! michigan sucks!

#11 ·
I put my steps on the other night and at least ground down around them rust primed and undercoated it to make my self feel better lol

bottom of drivers doors

#12 ·
I'd b sick if my truck looked like that. Glad mine is a tx/fla. truck. my buddy has an 03 and his underbelly looks like hell. next to my 01.:bowfast:

#17 ·
If the supports are still good, then get some rust stopping primer and some undercoating on it now. Then you can put new sides on and be good.

#21 ·
I would kill the government for that crap... They should be sanding the roads or something like that... Fuking salt... Who thought up that idea...

#23 ·
I would kill the government for that crap... They should be sanding the roads or something like that... Fuking salt... Who thought up that idea...
Though salt is bad calcium is worse by far. We contract plow a small town here in Maine and there is no way around salt on the main line, however the back roads are salt sand mix. Salt on the back roads is more or less just to make the sand "stick" to the road. The state dot seems to be using more calcium then anything, hardly ever see sand on state maintained roads any longer. I noticed a big difference in how things rusted after calcium became so popular.

#24 ·
We have no issues with cinders on the road... Other then the windsheilds.

#26 ·
Theyve been soaking the salt with calcium chroloride (maybe wrong but its calcium something) all this year so far and it sucks.:confused:

#34 ·
I'll try to snap some picks of our plow truck, all ford's(L-8000's and L-9000's) so will it apply?
What stinks about them is they only run in the worst weather, They get steam cleaned every spring and pressure washed after most every storm, but they seem to loose a little weight over the bumps every year.

#35 ·
ah! don't you just love that imported steel?
I remember growing up as a boy and seeing all those big cars with the big rust holes from Michigan and other northern states, they would come down to Florida in the winter and pay to watch my cousin wrestle his dog who was dressed up as an alligator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.