Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

CV rebuild/ parts?

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  tree trimmer 
#1 ·
Found the source of my noise on bumps, the cv joints are bad, and i guess theres a ball and socket between the two joints??? 02 f250, never been into one of these, and read that if you don't have the tools, youre better to get a certain kit with a part that makes it so you don't have to have a ball puller ( sounds painful)?????? i'm confused..any help on repairing or parts, or is it better to take it to a driveline shop and have it done? Thanks for any help, rsbhunter

#2 ·
front joints of the rear shaft? if so, i did mine, but it took a while. when i took it apart, it would not come apart with a press, cuz of the angles involved to seperate it. i cut the u-joints out with a torch, at all 4 crosses, knocked the caps out, and it went together easily after that. it will make you scratch your head, you have to do both ujoints at same time.

#3 ·
Front drive shaft...thinking i might have it done, don't have torches, and it sounds like it could end up being a project...instead of a repair....rsbhunter

#5 ·
do you mean a cv joint or a double cardan?
if its a double cardan there is a centering yoke bearing that is most likley gone you gotta buy the whole thing, 90 bucks, it is spring loaded so its going to give you a tough time putting the caps on make sure the pins are all straight or you will bust the lip off the yoke and have to replace that to 70 bucks :doh: dont ask how i know. while you have it apart you should do all the joints as your gonna heat them up pretty good to get them out, you can do them yourself but they are a royal pain in the butt
it took me and my dad both very mechanically inclined about 2.5 hours to do at home including going to napa three times..

thats a double cardan not a cv im pretty sure thats what you meant

#7 ·
#8 ·
from car-quest i could buy the whole thing complete. just needed to put it in driveshaft. which on way home, after deciding i didnt need a complete unit, i realized that its not possible to do that. ujoint has to go into driveshaft first, then yoke. called b.s. on them, and they had no reply.

#9 ·
Yes it is the double cardan joint, in my old blazer it was called a CV ....I will take it in to have it done....i know as many cuss words as i need to, and don't have much hair to pull out...Thanks for ALL the info....you have convinced me it will be money well spent....rsbhunter

#11 ·
Bought complete shaft from CarQuest, part #rds 419307, (girlfriend is manager) for just a little more than i could have bought quality u-joints, and asprin for the headache...old one has a core charge of $60.00...8 bolts and it was a done deal!!!! Thanks for the heads up on the job being a pita.....rsbhunter

#14 ·
It was more than the cost of 3 u-joints, but if you add in the ball and socket, ujoints and a bottle of asprin....in comes out about the same.....rsbhunter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.