Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Roadtrip FL-MI- IL

4K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  CTC DEEZUL 
#1 ·
well on the 12th I'm headed from fl driving to Southgate Michigan for about 5 days, and then driving to Chicago for 4 days then back home let me know if yall are in those areas!

#2 ·
You know you are gonna be driving into a blizzard if you get there today right?

#9 ·
Just dont drive any faster than you feel comfortable driving and dont be afraid to use 4 wheel drive if you feel the need too.

Oh and start to slow down earlier than you normally would cuase you never know when its gonna be a sheet of ice or not under the snow.

And look out for the other idiots on the road, its amazing how many people have lived in snowy areas their whole life and still cant drive for #### in the snow.

#10 ·
I would recommend stoping by a home depot and throwing 200lb of sand of the back axles. That should be no more then 15bucks and makes a huge difference.
Other then that, Just drive slow. You have a lot of asss holes around here who think that since they drive a 75,000 bmw suv they are invincible.

Yesterday it rained for a sold 15 hours. Then snap froze in under 30 min. All the streets became an ice rink..lol Im not trying to scary you, just take your time and drive safe. Use 4 wheel if you have to.

I live next to Schaumburg. Let me know when your in the area..

#12 ·
I just put 400 lbs in the bed of the truck and it didnt do ####.. Im going back for 600 more....

As of tonight, all of Chicagoland, South Chicago, and NWI is completely FAWKED!!!!

We are having VERY high winds and dustings... While there is only about 3 inches on the ground, it is still as bad as 10... I made a 40 mile round trip today, city/highway and I never left 4HI.... I also increase my stoppings and drafting distanced 5 times what they usually are...

Schaumberg area is FUBAR last time i heard

#14 ·
Never driven in the snow before, and you're driving into a blizzard... :doh: Be very very careful. I've never been a fan of adding weight to the back, to me it never seems to make a huge difference, especially in these huge trucks. Brakes and turning are more of a suggestion. Also, one thing I figured out the hard way... Just cause the highways are clear and relatively ice free, doesn't mean the off ramps are ice free. :doh:

#15 ·
Snow is serious business.. I had some run-in when I was on the East coat... Nothing like being in the Expy, doing 65 on a 6 lane highway than coming up to a wall of stopped traffic.... tap the brakes and nothing but ABS

#16 ·
well i will have 1800 ponds in the back plus tools and luggage so i will be good on weight lol i will def be extra cautious and keep extra distence i am nervous for sure it will be me my german shepard and and my GF she is from ther and will insist on driving but she is a gurl and drives the same regardless of conditions

#19 ·
Im about 80 miles east of Chicago and it is ####ty hear. Hope it all clears up before your trip.

#20 ·
Michigan's getting it pretty good! You'll see and enjoy the pleasures of it for sure when you get in here!

Where in Michigan are you headed?

#21 ·
Just remember 4x4 helps getting/keeping you going but does not do anything to help when it comes to stopping. Watch out for ice

#23 ·
When you start running into roads that are consistently covered in snow get off the highway and find a big empty parking lot (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc...) and go spin some cookies. Start at slow speeds and get a feel for what will make your truck slide and how to correct it. Trust me it helps a lot - even for people that are used to driving in snow. It let's you get familiar with your vehicle in those conditions.

You might get some fluid surge if your 250 gallons are somewhere around half-tank. That will make things interesting all by itself.

Rubber side down.

#26 ·
Im in northwest indiana. We have 22 in. on the ground. 8 ft. drifts across the 2 lane highway in my county. Be careful this way my friend.

#27 ·
I'm along I-94 about halfway between Detoilet and Chicago; The wind glazes the highway just east of here (yardstick 110 to about 85), and then again west of here (66 to about 50).

Once you're past the 26 yardstick heading west, you get a shload of lake effect, and that can continue all the way through Hammond, Indiana.

PM me when you're going through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.