theft light/PATS Programming - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > Power Stroke Excursions
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 PM
The Oiler
Oil anyone?
Member's Gallery

theft light/PATS Programming

Hi all, just bought an 01' ex with a 7.3. Completely stock with 157k on the odometer. Sometimes when i go to start it it will just crank and the theft light will flash really fast. I will shut it off and wait a second then try again and it will start. Is this something i can fix or do i need to take it to the stealership and let them take a look at it.
Thanks.
Nathan.
T-bars,airbags, 5in stacks
getting back on the road soon.
Now have a s366 from Swamps now.

01' xlt excursion with a 7.3
all stock for now and gets 18mpg
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 PM
CDP
^^ Not Cobbs
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to CDP
Re: theft light

It is the PATS system the only way around this is to unplug it or reprogram it. it involes turning the ignition a few times I cant find the link to it maybe someone else will chime in
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
The Oiler
Oil anyone?
Member's Gallery

No tuner unless it was flashed before i got it. What is the PATS system?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
OldschoolPSD
all ur OBS r belong to me
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD

Its the factory Passive Anti-Theft System... pretty much a joke as far as anti-theft stuff goes. I'm not sure how to turn it off but anyone in the business of stealing super duty's can get around it easily so it's not really worth keeping.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 AM
The Oiler
Oil anyone?
Member's Gallery

Anyone know where this thing is located so i can make it a weee part into the trash can?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 AM
96 stroker
Old But Sexy
Member's Gallery

no but turn the key on for 45 sec or soo until it slows down..than turn key back than turn if forward and wts light to go out and start it

Dads-01 7.3 4x4 Excursion..stock as could be
Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

When you have a stock X ( meaning no Chip) If your theft light blinks fast your PATs system and PCM ( vehicle's computer) are no longer in sync/ not recognizing each other. You will need to reset the PATS system.

* THEFT LIGHT (on Excursions) - If the theft light flashes rapidly and the vehicle won't start, the Passive Anti-theft system (PATS) will need to be reset. To reset the PATS, perform the following steps:

• Turn the key on, but do not attempt to start the vehicle.
  • Wait for the theft light to quit flashing rapidly. This should take about 45 seconds, after which the THEFT light will flash multiple times about every 3 seconds.
  • Turn the key off and remove the key from the ignition for 30 seconds.
  • Insert the key and turn the ignition to the ON position.
  • The THEFT light should illuminate for about 5 seconds and then go out.
  • PATS System should now be reset
  • You should be able to start your vehicle normally

try the above and you should be squared away.

For those with chips it can be normal for the theft light to flash AFTER starting for a few mins but should cut off after that while driving. It should never cause a no start issue. If the later does happen follow the above instructions to see if that fixes it first.

Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

I know a tuner that can disable PATS.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The Oiler
Oil anyone?
Member's Gallery

Ok, thanks for the info guys. What tuner will diable this pats system?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

No real need to disable pats unless you are having some type of issue. Where PATS disabling started to be used IIRC is when tuners tunes some how conflicted with PATS and created a no start issue. I think most of that could have been addressed with this simple reset. Other than that I do not see a flashing light for a min at start up a big deal.

I think there likely is a way you can just unplug the PATS module somehow. I need to look at a diagram when I get a chance and see

We need to get some stickies up on this sight with the various HOW TO things that so many peoepl get stuck with:

How to find your door unlock code for the push button pad and how to program it to a new number. ( $100 @ dealer)

How to reset PATs ( $100 @ dealer)

How to reset you Environmental climate control ( for those with the digital panels) when it goes completely dead. (Up to $1500)

How to program your seat belt warning bell ( PITA to listen to)

How to program new microchip keys to your vehicle ( $75 per key plus $100)

I am sure countless others.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 279
00EXCURSION7.3, 00X7.3PSD, 02EXCURSION, 03ex, 04psdexcursion, 07plower, 1950gmcelc, 1baddually, 1BAMF, 2000unlimited, 2000XLifted, 2006.1f250, 2dedge, 6.9turbocharged, 60POWERSTROKE73, 7.3 X, 7.3EX, 88 gtu, 96 stroker, 97F-SD, 99-350, ABQDIESEL, ACFarmer, ajennings, AK1, aklim, Alberta 7.3, AngryLepercon, Anyonebutme, AR Aggie, Arisley, ayrn, AZCrazian, baller9409, Balthasar, Barnbuilder, bassanglerbob, BB540C2, bbmxandfmx, Big K, BigBearDoinThangs, BigDeal21, BigMike, bigo, Bishopm82, blackstrokeracing, blaze42069, bondsman, bracketracer, brandon_7, Breacher, Brew_WY, BWillard, CALADASH, Capricious, catsnw, CDP, CFoster, chelada, chevelless414, Chicagostroker, chopperboy, Chris6.0, Chuck B, Chuck B., chuckels, CLAC, co04cobra, Coachscott, codykthekilla, copracr, Cory_S, CrewCab95, CSIPSD, CTShoaf, d-selpowereddiebauer, dbunyip, dcshoes686, ddillenger, DieselG, Dieselpop, dieseltrail, DieselX, dixieland-diesels, Dogdare, Dorito, double-s-diesel, DP-Tuner, DRT1359, drunk on diesel, dzlsmok, ExcursionConversion, ExToy, farmerguy, fatfender, fearthat2001, fordboy424, fordman2121, Fordpowered, fordtuff08, Fro_911, Fullsize7.3L, Gecko, getsum, Gibrid4x4, golfer, gracing, greaseltn, GRNDNL, GS247, Hamstn, harleyf250, haucks, haulin2000, helsel_182, hendricksbus, highboost, HOLMES, hoosierdiesel, Ignorant1, imelmo, IndianaDiesel, itsnunya, Jason.Horath, jawsfx4, jaybuller, jdexcursion, Jeff Watts, Jeremy, Jetblack, Jimbo*, jjmills, Jngreen, Johnboy3, johnrhodes, JoJo, jones184, Joshs4x4toyz, Jquillz, jr_backdaddy, JSchuricht, jth4570, JustDiesel, JustEZNAlong, juxtoposed, kasey200, kcbillb2, kdsf350, KJS1820, knoxville, Kodiax, Kohrnholio, KOOOPSD, LaMoparPower, leoneo01, li'l tugger, Lohe, LTORRES, Lyrch75, Madisdaddy0505, manureman, manvan, mattmankow, mghay, MikeZR-1, MilehighEX, Moroney167, Mr02kota, NC7.3, NEVRNF, Newman, nitroteam, njneer1, nm351, nokes43, North Pro diesel, northeastgeorgiadiesel, o4ep3civ, OBS F350, OBSWIZ, OldschoolPSD, olyaee, ONE BAD EXCURSION, papadelogan, Picanins, pickit, portillo, powerstroke02, PowerSub, prheitz, PSD POWER007, Quadsteerxl, rafaelwmendes, RazorsEDGE, rdr99, rednexxxcursion, RedSS2331, RexLG, Rhino16, rich, rickvm, RIDETHE, rkocurek, RocKrawler, Ron's power stroke, ronaldjamesh, roughneck0913, rpenner54, rsbhunter, Samson, Satan's chariot, ScaldedDog, scottKP99, SeeYa, seg_97, semomotorsports, Shanediggler, Shaw, showtimesolon, silent64, Skew12, slimmpd, sloburban, smoketune, speeddemon31176, StickerMonster, stonecoldrn, Stonepusher, superbad, Super_Hauler, survivalsquid, swimage, TARM, tazjeepman, The Butcher, The Oiler, thedivineguy, thompson238, thoroughbred, tkdbf350, TNScrambler, Tom S, TrainWreck, trimacwest, tsteates, tuckman, twiisted71, Twisted Excursion, twisthappyr6, Tygen1, Vcv, vr4tune, w4racing, wakeupluis, wampaku, washingtoncoastie, wayno, wckdpowerstroke, wetnsloppy4x, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, White Buffalo, WHPSExcursiom, wildmanben, Willem, WSStucker, wtstang, x-curse-ion, xbox73, ybnrml55, YohanSegaBowser, zbigbig19th, ZBrooks, Zmann, zx800x, z_racing14