Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any Military Officers Here

3K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  MADMAN36 
#1 ·
Looking into OCS or DCO. I could really use some guidance. The recruiters are being a bit evasive.

Thanks
Jim

#4 ·
Well what kind of person are you? Do you like getting in there and doing stuff and getting things done, or do like watching other people get stuff done.

#8 ·
Go enlisted then do an enlisted to commisioning program. That way you get the taste of both worlds.

#13 ·
One thing I always hated was when a fresh butter bar was trying to tell me how to do my job when he still didn't even know his.:mad:
Prior enlisted have the right mind, and they aren't so arrogant in my experience. :D

Oh, BTW don't let them recruiters blow smoke up your rear, and give you the run around, honesty is not even close to their policy.

#12 ·
Go Army Warrant Officer:).....best of both worlds!

#18 ·
True, but you need enlisted time to go Warrant, cause that's what a warrant is, A subject matter expert.

I'm working on my warrant packet now, but I have to give up my current job if I take it. Not looking good for finding a warrant full time position either, so it's back out the the civilian market.

#15 ·
I disagree with the going enlisted and then becoming an officer, this really only works if you stay in your MOS. I have had butter bars from supply or the chow hall trying to tell a bunch of salty grunts how to patrol, it doesnt work out too well for said butter bar. I only spen 4 yrs in the Marines, and that was one of the reasons I wanted out........

#19 ·
As a former Army NCO, my best advice to you is to go directly to officer. As long as you recognize your NCO's experience and use their judgement in making your decisions you'll do fine. Just as anywhere else in the world of managing people, take care of them and they'll take care of you. Don't take that commission lightly as the decisions you make will literally be the difference between life and death.

#21 ·
I was enlisted about 13 years ago. I was on my way to FCL school in Great Lakes when I got the bright idea that I wanted to go to BUD/S instead. I was told in no uncertain terms NO. FCL school was 2 years long and I would have to do another 4 years in the fleet then apply to BUD/S. Well, I was screwing around and almost got busted with my cover twisted and making fun of a Chief. The hat came off and I went to scoop it up before he saw me and I racked my skull on a bulkhead. Hid the injury best I could but eventually just told a corpsman that I had a headache. Went to the Naval med center in GL and had CTs and stuff done. Everything was cool. I told the Doc that I wanted to get out and come back in after I figured out the headache situation. He filled the chit and I was on my way. He told me that I would have no problems coming back in. Win, win. I come back in in a rating that can take me on a fast track to BUD/S. Well, about 6 years later I went to do so (yeah, I had a hell of a life when I was discharged). When the recruiter asked about my RE code I told him it was the RE4 and he basically told me no dice. I was pretty pissed, as I was sure that this was not the case. I looked further into my DD214 and it had NONE of my records, no ribbons, no fit reps, nothing. It was as if I had really never even been in the Navy. I recall when I was being discharged I pissed off some Chief that was handling my paperwork and I have a very bad feeling that this is his way of making me pay.

Fast forward to today. I have my BS in Psychology. I want to either go to OCS or get into the medical corps train at Bethesda and get into that PhD internship they have there. I am a stellar student, 3.73 GPA, 1330 SAT, I scored high enough to be a Nuke at MEPS. I am a lifetime member of the international honor society in Psychology. And, I could pass any PT test you could throw at me. 7 min mile in BDU's, 500 meter swim in just over 10. 80 PU, 80 SU, ( I trained for the Navy SEAL fitness challenge this summer, that is how I know, I am not just bragging).

I would do anything to get into any of these programs, and not just the Navy's either. I just need to know who to get the correct chit from to get this started.

Thank You for all your responses and PM's, any help to shine some light on the correct path is invaluable.

#24 ·
Didn't read your last post...so you can disregard mine.

I take it you've spoken to AMEDD recruiting folks? What did they tell you?

If not, I would go right to the source....your local recruiting office may not know the latest and greatest, and because you fall into a different accessions category...you may not be their focus.

I'd focus my efforts on contacting the USAREC AMEDD recruiting folks...looks like the 1st Med Rec Bn handles your area.

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd.html

http://www.usarec.army.mil/mrb/brigade.shtml

Honestly, the best advice would come from an Army shrink who has done what you're doing...those might be hard to find on this site though:)

#27 ·
I really do need to find some one who has already been through the route to guide me a little. I find it a bit odd that they have SEAL mentors (which is a very good thing) but no mentors for people like me that wish to transition into DCO type jobs. The puddle pirates make it easy with simple forms and such ( I would go that route if they were not on a freeze right now), but the Army and Navy, wow talk about confusing.

#28 ·
Good luck man, hope you get what you are looking for.

#35 ·
Cutty72

That's a great pic of a great machine in action!

#36 ·
With an RE-4 you are not coming back in. You are definitely not coming back in as an Officer. What is the narrative reason on your 214? A Bachelors in degree in psychology qualifies you to be an officer only. Amedd won't even talk to you seriously. At 33 years old, you are not qualified to be an Officer in any branch, and age waivers are gone. DOD just put out a policy saying Officers had to be 30 by the time they ship. So another strike. If you really want to be an officer, I would suggest going into a reserve program, as all active duty programs don't need folks.

I am a recruiter, so if you have questions you really want answered PM me.

John

#37 ·
At 33 years old, you are not qualified to be an Officer in any branch, and age waivers are gone. DOD just put out a policy saying Officers had to be 30 by the time they ship.
I personally know of a 34 year old AD E7 recently selected for the Warrant Officer flight training program.

My advice would be to not allow anyone tell me no except the selection board for the program I was applying.

Good luck.

#39 ·
I'll take your word for it on the RE-4, as your using lingo I'm not up on.....AR 601-??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.