Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2000 DRW 4x4 swap: differences between SRW and DRW axles? which one?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  westec 
#1 ·
I'm ready to fix up the front end of my truck, and would like to go ahead and add 4wd. found both type t-cases and driveshafts locally, that looks straightforwards. The thing is, which axle will ake for the most straight forwards swap? is it worth it and a straight forwards swap to do the newer style coil spring front, or the older style leaf spring axle from the correct truck? which one has the best steering?

also, if I use the front axle of either type off a SRW truck, what differences are there besides the adapters? do you need to change out the whole hubs, inners or outers? arent the rotors and bearings different, or is it easy to piece together?

looking forwards to this one

#2 ·
If you are changing the 2WD to 4Wd i would stay with the leafs and related parts from the same generation truck as the parts should bolt in, if you can get the parts from a donor truck.

The Dually front end is almost the same as the single. The differences, as far as on my 2005:

The studs in the unit bearings are not wheel studs but a coarser thread bolt with the same splined head as the stud, they are shorter than the wheel studs and hold the dually adapter in place. they still press into the unit bearing like the wheel stud.

The dually adapters.

Brake calipers

Brake Rotors

all other parts are the same.

I believe the difference in the rotors is a slight difference in thickness, same for the caliper, to suit the thicker disk.

Stay with the manual NV271 T-Case, as there is quite a bit of electrical crap that makes the NV273 work ,or not in my case!

Check the gear ratio of your rear end, the dually's typically use a lower ratio 4.10:1/4.30:1 again, 4.10:1 in my truck VS the higher ratio of the SRW trucks.

It may be best to get the front from a SRW truck, and replace the wheel studs in the unit bearings with the proper bolts and then source the dually adapters as the SRW front ends are way more available then the DRW front ends.

Again, this is what i have found for my 2005 F 350. I am currently switching from DRW to a SRW set up. I have a D60 front and FORD 10.50 from a SRW that I am rebuilding to swap into my truck.

Best of luck with the conversion.

Richard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.