Coolant and coolant additives - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.4L Power Stroke - Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
hopperwagonbob
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Coolant and coolant additives

Draind the radiator to do an egr delete truck has 7000 miles on it. Got the ole stuff in a clean bucket. About 4 gal the book says it holds 7.5 gal.and it takes an additive. Should I finish getting it all out? Or just add. Is this something special or is it dex cool? Orieleys dex cool don't have fords spec.number m97b51-a1. An what about the additive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
pog
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Coolant and coolant additives

Im not sure about the additive but the coolant is ford premium yellow. You can get some stuff at walmart the name starts with a z. It will be yellow coolant. And 50/50 mix it with distilled water. I have heard of people changing the coolant type to red or whatever but dont know too much about that.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
hopperwagonbob
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Rudys said to use the m/c and use the additive . 14 bucks a gal at ford additive was 7.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
pog
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Whats the additive called?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 AM
zabeard
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

mc? also what is the additive?

Only thing i have read on Ford's sites is running Motorcraft Gold coolant with bittering agent. Nothing more.

1997 F350 CCLB 4WD Auto. Basics 4" Exhaust and 6637 filter.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 AM
pog
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Mc i think he means motorcraft. I have never heard of an additive for the coolant
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
zabeard
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Only thing I can think of is iron cleaner but you shouldn't use that all the time You only use that before a system flush.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
hopperwagonbob
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Mc8 is the part number. And it is motorcraft. Look at your suppelmental diesel owners manual. I believe it's fo the alkalinity. Bottle says 4 oz per gal of cooling. It also says to use test strips to determine if additive is required.test kit is called rotunda 328-00001 or 328-00006.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
cartmanea
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You don't need an additive yet with only 7k miles. I would just filter the original coolant and put it back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 89
03sixspeed, 07nightrain, abr, bae76, bckcx2, Bigdave, bigharleyb, BigIslandBoy, bigmick, Bigtimearcher, bpb424, brickhead, budtoh3zo, bufasion, capt dong, cartmanea, CCSracer13, CLAC, crzy97, danbonzo, dbs0026, DieselFarmer, dlange, DPS0925, eric.davis, F150orelse, f350jim, fishyPSD, fordman4286, frusteri4, FTG-05, GMAN1, golfmedik, Hanging_Heels, HighOn20s, hopperwagonbob, Hutch, ISUsuperduty, jeremyleggett07, joec410, johnday, JuststrokeIT, Jwbeav, kainers, kenny7231, KR69IDI, leadsled9, leoneo01, LILGSX, lorado04, markm, Martin #6, maverick347, McCrackin, Meaty JTizzle, MikeSherman, mnwake, muchi56, mustang42, nikkony, OOWeaver68, PJB, pog, PowerSub, powr2stroke, Prew32, radio flyer, Relentless1, Ronin, R_S_C, scbolt, scott2001, SFC1984, slightlycrazy, slowmans, SmoKingRanch, STAX, stevestroke08, strokinDa6.4, superbad, tbsimmons, Thunderheader, tjbrowder, tjsulli790, TSizemore, UNCLE DWAYNE, zabeard