Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

"thunk" in front end!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rsbhunter 
#1 ·
ok, weird description, but thats as close as i can come to describing it, does it on either side it seems like when i hit a medium bump or small pot hole...i have a 02 F250, have replaced all between the pitman arm and the knuckles, all sway bar bushings, shocks......i'm guessing either front spring bushings worn out, or could the hub bearings do that? The hubs aren't so bad that i'm getting any signs, shimmy, noise on turning, or anything.....this has me stumped... how can i check for worn out front springs and bushings...track rod isn't loose, as far as i can tell....thanks for any help, you guys on this site have already saved me a bunch of headaches!!! rsbhunter

#4 ·
Had them checked about 3 months ago (500 miles) and the alignment shop said they had a "little wear, but didn't need replacing...however, just ordered a full set of the XRF from the Tire Club.com last night...all four for $80.00???? Hope they are as good as everyone says......also looking into new hubs, want dependable..even if i replace the whole truck piece by piece....but i dont know if the ball joints are that bad...this is a solid thump....but i'll believe anything at this point...rsbhunter

#6 ·
i bet its sway bar links

#7 ·
all new sway bar and end link bushings, front and rear...energy suspension black......those were the first replaced......

#9 ·
all the shocks tight and bushings good?

#10 ·
new KYB shocks in front.....if i jack up the front end, i should see the spring eye move if the bushings are shot, yes?

#12 ·
I had a similar clunk to yours...front spring eyes were not even centered anymore because the bushings were so bad. I ended up buying new springs because the other ones were wearing out and I didn't want to have to take them off again to replace the springs in another year. So, in short, if you can see the spring eye move, your bushings are probably worn out.

#13 ·
SCPSD, thanks for the reply...i am going to work on it friday and check if i can see the springs move, check the ball joints, and if i can, the tracking bar ...there's nothing else(maybe cab mounts?) that it can be...iv'e replaced everything else on the frt end!!!!! Thanks to everybody that replied, some of the things i never would have thought to check....rsbhunter

#14 ·
ok, even used a chassis ear, the only thing i can find that might be making the "thunk" is that the frt drive shaft from the transfer case u-joints are worn to where it will make noise if i hit it with the palm of my hand, never checked it cause it is static, but if the frt end hits a bump, it is connected?????....will replace all u-joints on the frt and hope.....rsbhunter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.