Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

broken 4x4 on my truck

858 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PHPDiesel 
#1 ·
i have a 99.5 powerstroke nice truck love it only thing is that i did something to the 4x4 front end.How it happen was i was goin backwards up a hill to get a friend in front of me to get up the hill in front of us so what i did was when i backup the hill i punched into it really good and heared the front end pop and and stuff.I was like piss now what i do i was suck in two wheel drive but still locked in 4x4 high and it just wouldnt go nowhere.So the question is what could i possibley do to blow out the front 4x4 drive for it not to engaged?

#2 ·
Were you pulling your friend in reverse? The ring and pinions are designed to be very strong when turning forward, but not so strong when used in reverse. Maybe broke some of the teeth off the gears?

#5 ·
That seriously sux man.
I'd unlock the hubs, put the tcase in 2wd, spin the drive shaft to see if the yokes spin first. Also see if it's the hubs, or yokes on the axles. I just would hate to see someone do tons of work with extra money spent for a simple break that has similar symptoms. I have had both damages occur on me, and all in similar situations and they did the same thing due to the limited slip spinning the broken side. When the yoke went it made a clunking sound on turns with locked hubs. The hubs made a mild buzzing sound. I replaced the hubs with Warns, they are much better than the OEMs.
I'm not sure on the cost, but it aint cheap:( As far as the pinion goes it's pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined, just time consuming, so that makes it a PITA.
Good luck
I hope it is a simple lower cost repair.

#6 ·
Check the hubs...probably just broke a hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.