Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Diesel Power MAG article, I want one!

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Bartman 
#1 ·
The 05 with the cummins and allison trans. What a sweet truck. Which got me thinking, does anyone know about how much this would cost overall? Could you do it to a gas truck? I am thinking, when I am ready to do this (2 years) buy a high mileage truck what would the rest cost? Just trying to see if anyone here has done anything like that yet. Anyone else like it?

#4 ·
Allison's are not that great of a trans. I used a 4r100 in my swap but if I do another I will just use a built Dodge trans. Save $1500 in adapter plates and transmission controllers to start. Not to mention those Dodge trans seem to live the best behind high HP Cummins.

#5 ·
Got the mag but haven't read it yet. Sounds sweet to me.

#6 ·
I guess I wouldn't be set on an allison come to think about it. I would really like a manual anyway to be honest which would make things even easier. Lubbockguy1979, for me it's more than a vehicle to talk about. My favorite trucks are ford, my favorite body style's are the 05-06 trucks, and the 6.0, well I don't even need to go there. If I could do it for 20 grand, you would have a brand new truck, and if done right it would be bulletproof.

#7 ·
The 05 with the cummins and allison trans. What a sweet truck. Which got me thinking, does anyone know about how much this would cost overall? Could you do it to a gas truck? I am thinking, when I am ready to do this (2 years) buy a high mileage truck what would the rest cost? Just trying to see if anyone here has done anything like that yet. Anyone else like it?
Oh yah,... As long as you have a shell you can put any motor in it. If you are a regular DP mag reader then go back to the August 08 issue and read about Adam Cornells truck. His truck started out as a 2wd gas truck and is now a 4wd 1300+ hp nitrous eater.

DP Mag Aug 08-Adam Cornell

#15 ·
it is likely if your going be putting this motor in a truck your going to be running tuning which throw out the stock crappy mpgs. who in their right mind would put a stock cummins in and not do anything else?

I think it would be ideal to do a duramax swap using the same trans as the 6.4.
untill it is put into a dodge from the factory it is not a proven motor. dosent matter if it makes huge hp#'s has a stout tranny, incredible tunability, or doubling the hp just on tuning....:poke:

#12 ·
I think it would be ideal to do a duramax swap using the same trans as the 6.4.

#18 ·
why swap in a cummins??? with there common rail setup and injectors they are imo unreliable. put several sets of injectors in trucks with 50k, 70k, 75, 114k, 85k miles, all stock all had bad injectors, two other truck had injectors stick open which resulted in bent rods and dead holes. wouldnt put one in my truck i would swap it to a gasser before that, no but really 6.4 powerstroke or a 6.6 duramax, dt360, 530,

for the money it cost to swap engines you could build a 7.3, 6.0 up to x amount of horsepower with all the bells and whistles, just for the price of the swap in most cases....... you'll have a swapped motor but stock compared to built motor reliable, just imo .02

#22 ·
I'm gonna say you either have no idea what it costs to do a fully built powerstroke or no idea what a cummins swap costs.
You can't buy a set of billet 7.3 rods for what some guys have in acummins swap.

#21 ·
Common rail is the technology of the future...its far superior to any other injection designs. It’s expensive to use but it offers many more advantages than previous injection designs. Yes its expensive, yes its more electronics and such thus somewhat hurting the reliability....but its here to stay and will be for a LONG time. It might not be the preferred technology right now in “our” world but it’s all that is used in the real world. You cant meet all of the EPA stuff without it. Its more efficient of a design as well. Mechanical and HUEI have there place but they are in the past and will never be used again given the stringent EPA laws.

#27 ·
That truck belongs to a friend of mine and was built at by Rockin-S-Performance in Ft. Lupon Co. The 6.7 is running VERY well and the built Allison is doing just fine. The truck is a DD, Drag racer and a very competitive sled puller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.