Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dropped the pan...how f'd am I? Pics inside...

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Dirk 
#1 ·
Dropped the pan to change filters and this is what I found. only about 1 mm thick film of metal shavings on the magnet. no other shavings found in the pan so I'm assuming that's relatively normal. replaced the pickup filter.

next dropped the filter up by the radiator and this is what it looks like. rolled it on the paper towl and you can see how full of shavings it is. I have no clue how long this filter has been in there. i bought the truck at 68 k and it now has 86 and this is the first time I've been into it.

now that filter starts out white. so......am I f'd or what?

See less See more
#3 ·
looked and smelled fine as of last night per the phone call. I had Lance pull the trans filters to double check before jacking up the line pressures after the trans started slipping.

Lance, sorry I just missed your call.. I'm on the phone with work. Hooray. Anyways, what I told you about the description of the pan is still fine. It is how you described it. But, I sure as #### don't like that filter.

Go ahead and button everything back up and refill. Start her up and run to purge the air. Go ahead and make the line pressure adjustments as discussed then drive the truck around a bit. We'll talk soon.

#7 ·
meh...fluid smelled pretty old. i know the shavings on the pan was normal but that filter was FULL. like i said though...i don't know if it has ever been changed. it slipped for the first time a couple days ago so that's what prompted the fluid/filter changes. i actually haven't had the chance to rag on it since i changed it all but i will tomorrow. shifting is still crisp. bumped the pressures by about 20 percent so we'll see how that works. not really wanting to buy a billet converter anytime soon......

#17 ·
Isn't that filter just a bypass filter? I haven't looked at one or one of the mounting bases but from the way it appears in the picture, I don't think that filter is capable of restricting flow.

#20 ·
It can and will restrict flow. The pickup filter in the pan is nothing more than a pickup. I wouldn't even guess it has a micron rating. The external filter is a bypass design, but not the greatest. There are reports out saying this system will filter between 5-10% of fluid. I've seen other reports as high as 30-40% in the past. Personally, I've seen them in the 20% range. Can these percentages effect operation? In my opinion, yes. Nothing more than putting pliers on a garden hose. You'll get higher pressures, but at what cost to the flow rate? The only way to REALLY test this is to install a complete bypass around the filter and and install a block off port on the return line. Measure the output with and without the filter in place.

There are two factors in place here.

1) The transmission hasn't been properly serviced over time.
2) The owner didn't adjust the transmission line pressures properly when the new injectors\turbo were installed.

Hopefully, Lance caught this in time.

#25 ·
To add about the 4r100 with 5r110 cooler testing:

I couldn't visually any difference. By weight, it was only a few ounces less. So that tells me that if the cooler isn't clogged up with junk, the 5r110 (31 row) works very well.

#26 ·
Not trying to be a post whore, but this needs to be said:

All testing needs to be done at full operating temperature. Testing results will very if the trans is cold. Fluid will not flow as fast as it will when hot.

Don't trust the stock gauge. It's retarded. I believe the gauge says "Normal" from 60* to 230-250*.

I think there was a TSB to address damage to the direct drive pack when cold. I think it was addressed years ago with a new strategy. But I honestly don't remember when. I think this was all addressed before '05.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.