Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Vibrations and hoping

949 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Ok Talk about perfect day. My room mate calls me and tells me at certain speeds "around 40-50 mph" and "while turning" he getting some wheel hop. Jacked the truck up checked evey thing in the the front end all seems to be tight the drag seemed to have quite a bit of play twisting it but not anything else "1999 f-250 4x4" shocks were just replaced. Any ideas?

Ok great park his truck get in mine and drive it to work. On our way home i hit some rumble strips and sure as #### here comes this awful vibration. Come to a stop it goes away take off again no vibration. Then hit some small bumps and here comes the vibration again. I just recently replaced the stabilizer so thats ruled out i'm thinking universals cause here lately when i take off with a trailer i get a little popping vibration feeling. Any ideas.

#2 ·
Universals would not line up with you hitting bumps and vibrations etc.

If the drag link is loose I bet that is your issue. Likely the outers are worn as well. I would think about installing a new full tie rod kit. If ball joints and unit bearings all checked out good. About $300 to do the entire assembly new: all the outers/inners/drag link /2 adj sleeves.

#4 ·
Hence my comment of: IF the unit bearings check out.

#5 ·
Well the my buddies truck was a busted band in the tire i'll have to post pics of this thing.
On my truck when its starts vibrating its kind of a growling noise as well. How much do unit bearings usually run.

#6 ·
When you do them you should do both. They are not cheap. I strongly recommend Timken as they are what OEM is and people have had the best luck with them. The lowest price I have found for them is either Rockauto or Amazon.com Be sure to know your wheel lug thread. They are one of these two: Coarse threads (14x1.5) are up through 2002 and the fine threads (14x2.0) started in 2003 Sometimes those dates are not solid so check. They use what they have. The part number is 515021 for fine threads and 515020 for course. They run about $205 a piece here RockAuto

About $ 190 here Amazon.com

I was told by a few that ordered thru Amazon that they also came with not onlyt he wheel lugs but also the knuckle studs and nuts. Those do not come with the ones from the local parts stores. The Rockauto is suppose to have them as well. You should call and double check.

Its a very easy job. 1 hr per side. remove: 4x4 locking hub and washers, wheel, brake caliper, caliper mount, rotor, disconnect anti-lock sensor cable and air locker hose if used. 4 bolts holding the unit bearing on the back side of the knuckle and pry it off. The only sticking point can sometimes be getting the unit bearing to break loose from the knuckle. Some dead blow hammer and or pry bar usually is all that's needed. If you have a 3 jaw puller that fits its a non issue.

Trust me if you can at all afford to do both now.

My suggestion for maintenance going forward: You should clean and repack the needle bearing and grease as well as grease the main wheel bearing by unbolting and pulling the anti-lock sensor from its port in the unit bearing and grease thru there unit you see it come out the seals on the sides of the unit. Do both of these ever 6 months. They will last a far greater time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.