Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

fog lighs dont turn off. Even when switch is unpluged

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  johnday 
#1 ·
When i bought the truck the fog lights were not pluged in, I finaly pluged them in and they dont turn off with the dash switch I even unpleged the switch in the dash and they were still on. Anyone had this happen before or know what might have happened?

#3 ·
Could be the foglight relay as well. Take a look in your owners manual for it's location. I think I'd find it, and with your foglights on, pull it, and see if the lights go out. If they do, ya found the problem.;) My schematic doesn't show the location of the relay or I'd tell you where it is. The majority of them are either in the fuse panel, or under the hood on left side by the hood hinge.

#7 ·
My schematic called it the battery junction box, I thought that would be a fuse panel. With most things being renamed these days, I wrongly ASSumed I guess.
Where did Ford hide this?;)

#9 ·
In my first reply, I was looking at a schematic for an Excursion, evidently it's different than a pickup. My real bad!!
I'm looking at a Chiltons. I'm seeing in the power distribution box, fuse #9, 15amp. I follow an orange/lt green wire, down to a relay, with a tan/orange wire going to the foglights. Where this relay actually is located, I don't know.
I don't know why our information is conflicting, I certainly don't want to cause confusion. Could my Chiltons be wrong? Guess it wouldn't be the first time.

#10 ·
OK, did some asking, this is what I'm told. Fuse #31 in my fuse panel under the dash. The relay is part of the "central junction box" just as Silverback said. Well the problem with that is, in order to fix that, you have to replace the whole thing. Cost was thought to be in the neighbourhood of $100. On my truck, an '01, it's under the dash to the right of the steering column I was told. When you pull the fuse, your lights will likely stay on, if the relay is bad. The fuse feeds the switch that feeds the control side of the relay. So, if the relay is stuck/welded/whatever in the closed position, you will have power to the lights, regardless of what you do to the switch..
Same guys I've been talking to gave me this website to go to that you can download a complete manual for free. The link I'll give you, is set for my truck, you should be able to reset it for your year.
4shared.com - free file sharing and storage - download
Hope that helps ya, and sorry again for the bad info earlier.;)
All that must be why the prior owner disconnected the lights.

#12 ·
The relay is in the junction box down by the steering column, under the dash. There is nothing you can do but replace the whole box. I'm not sure just what it looks like, my truck is not here, so I couldn't look for it. I suspect you'd have a large wire going into it, with a number of others coming out. My schematic showed a orange/light green wire going in, and a tan/orange wire leaving,and going to the lights. I guess you'll just have to reference that to find it.
There appears to be a number of things fed from that junction box.
Hope it helps.
My truck will be home tomorrow, and I'll see if I can find it, then let you know.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.