Must "wiggle" gear shifter for truck to start... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Transmission Related
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Early99PSD
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Must "wiggle" gear shifter for truck to start...

This has been happening more and more lately. The truck will not engage the starter unless I wiggle or move the gear selector lever in and out of Park a time or two. I have heard of this issue before, but couldn't remember the exact cause. Is this the park/shift lock switch/solenoid inside the steering column causing this? I have also heard that maybe it's the "digital transmission range sensor" on the tranny. It seems to basically be telling the ECM to not allow a start cycle because the truck is not fully in Park. Any other ideas with this? Thanks.
Early 99 (build 04/98) F250 XLT Supercab, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, 4R100, SRW, 6637 DIY intake, 4" TB exhaust, RCD leveling kit, 05 front facelift, 05 tow mirrors, 05 body badging, 05 Dash, Body molding delete, Difuser headlight harness, 20x10 XD Diesels(black), 305/55/20's, Stainless brake lines, Updated PCM, White face gauge overlay, 2002 seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
SouthFlstrokin'
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Must "wiggle" gear shifter for truck to start...

maybe the neutral safety switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
Anyone who stands to pee drives a 7.3.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
JMart
undercompensating
Member's Gallery

If there is slop in your selector the start looking into the column, if not I would consider the neutral safety switch. My selector has slop so I know I need to replace the bearing. I have to push it up into park sometimes to get it to start. Or I just put it in neutral first.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
vader's fury
<---- my shop
Member's Gallery

There are 2 bushings on the steering column that could be bad, or I have seen the bolts on the end of the shift column come loose and cause this issue. I would start there first. Have you done any trans work on truck lately?

2003 F-350 CCLB, 7.3, Auto

2000 F-450 Sold.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
skippy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader's fury View Post
There are 2 bushings on the steering column that could be bad, or I have seen the bolts on the end of the shift column come loose and cause this issue. I would start there first. Have you done any trans work on truck lately?
x2 very common.where the cable connects to the linkage,it is bolted with two bolts.had that problem with two different trucks.the first time i didnt know what was goin on until one of the bolts fell out of it onto my foot.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
TheSmokinStroke2002
R.I.P PSN
Member's Gallery

try putting it in neutral and starting it

Diesel Innovations Tunes
Glowshift 10 series gauges
6637 Intake w/ Truckmods cover
Foil Delete
Wicked Wheel
Dual 7" Aussies
5" lift
35" MT ATZ's
Black MT Classic Locks
03-07 Tow Mirrors
05 Harley front end
Recon Smoked cab lights
ATS Stage 3 Trans w/ 5 Star Converter

R.I.P. Will Iott
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 PM
dieselsmoke0204
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader's fury View Post
That was the issue for me. Look under the dash in the steering column and there should be 2 or 3 gold bolts. When you wiggle the shifter you will see them move. Those bolts were loose and I had to hold it up in park for it to start. All I had to do was tighten those bolts and it was all good.

01 Silver PSD, lifted, roof rack, winch, snorkel- SOLD

03 Jetta TDI- DD

1999 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, locked, etc....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
x2 very common.where the cable connects to the linkage,it is bolted with two bolts.had that problem with two different trucks.the first time i didnt know what was goin on until one of the bolts fell out of it onto my foot.
One of the first issues I ever had with my truck. A drop of blue loctite, no issues since than.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
zaairman
No 6.0
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke0204 View Post
That was the issue for me. Look under the dash in the steering column and there should be 2 or 3 gold bolts. When you wiggle the shifter you will see them move. Those bolts were loose and I had to hold it up in park for it to start. All I had to do was tighten those bolts and it was all good.
Easiest way to fix this problem is to have Andy come over and fix it for you...

SLAPS Member #153
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

No problem, I could use a trip to CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 111
$and$hark, 1990 Scorpion, 20007.3stroker, 7.3-StRoKeR, 89 Stroker, Angior, Arisley, barber97powerstroke, BigRed97, black73, Blackford, Bobs 7.3, boostaddict, Bulldog, CAT, catsnw, caveman1, CGMKCM, Colorado, cory99, cpdad93, Cutty72, darklcdfeller, darrell401, dburress, Diesel Mack, dieselsmoke0204, Dirt_99, Doodah, Dustball8504, dwall, Dway, Early99PSD, Evoluvin, F350POWERSTROKE, farmall99, firefighterbam, flmeade, fyrehose, Goose1995, gottagofast, Green-Monster, honda313, ironworker25, JayNicks, JerseyJim, JMart, JustEZNAlong, kasey200, kb2red, KingRanchSick.0, Kyle_KleinSS, madpogue, Mark Kovalsky, Mat J, meandog06, MidwestOBS, mike t., mnorthey22, Okieboy32, OLD'SCOOL, Peterbilt66, Pipewhiner, polish pete, powerchoke, POWERED SPARKLESS, Powerstatement, powerstroker20, PsRumors, pstroke96, racehauler, rancherstroker6, Rixster, RLB88, RobSpook, rollin_smoke, rsbhunter, rsfvscott1, RyanG85, s10mike, skippy, smerleau, Sneezy Beltran, SouthFlstrokin', spinnaker335, StandAlone, stoney126, striker05, Stroken7.3, stroker6.4, SuperRod, suprhlr, swaan, swmjr, TARM, Texas Limo, TheSmokinStroke2002, tmars51, trackspeeder, tree trimmer, tughill283, vader's fury, VW_Factor, whitjo, wint, WoodBoy, wsb, xbobo04, zaairman, zack179