Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Block Heater...yes, i know where it is.

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  id: 5520 
#1 ·
I have searched the forums for an answer to my question, but can't seem to find it. When I plug in my truck, the next morning, it is easier at starting, the trans temp will jump up, and the high idle will kick on after a few minutes. Now, I am a little confused.....I realize that the trans cooler is tied into the coolant system, but with any block heater I have seen, the engine temp would be up "a little" then the trans temp would rise as drive the truck. Mine seems to be just the opposite. And the high idle...shouldn't the block heater warm the coolant enough for it not to kick in. It doesn't bother me, I am just questioning the operation of the truck.

#2 ·
Mine will kick into hight idle when I first start it in the morning when its 40 degrees out side. Thats about all I can say the rest of your question I have no idea. I have not plugged my truck in yet.

#5 ·
I believe high idle kicks in with ambient temp, nothing to do with the motor temp...as far as your tranny temp being up, i've never seen that before

#7 ·
Tranny temp gauge has three settings, cold, normal, and hot... It is not a gauge at all.

I believe the threshold is about 58* on the gauge to move to the normal area...

#9 ·
I never would have thought that......Does this mean that if i were hauling down the interstate, steep grades, and it was a little much for the tranny, the gauge would jump from normal to hot instead up creeping up? That kinda sucks if that is the case.

#8 ·
I thinks its in the manual some where. High idle has nothing to do with engine temp its all about ambient temp.

#19 ·
The oil pressure indicator sender unit consists of a diaphragm and contact points. The contact points are closed with oil pressure causing the gauge to indicate NORMAL oil pressure. With no oil pressure, the contacts open and the gauge indicates low oil pressure.
straight of all data, couldnt find the info for the trans temp gauge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.