Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Window problems

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  tmars51 
#1 ·
Here's the low down. Crew cab truck, all windows work from the main control on the drivers door and other doors. Problem is when the power feed is hooked up to run the windows from any other window door switch in the truck, it is blowing the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. I disconnected the power feed and drivers door controls all windows no problem. But now I can't run any other window with the power feed disconnected. Anyone have this problem?

#2 ·
I don't think I'm reading your post correctly. Are you saying that all the windows can be operated from the driver's window master control switch and each window also works from its corresponding switch on its door panel? If so, that's how it should work. Are you trying to feed the power separately to each window? The only power feed is through the master control switch. Cheers!

#3 ·
Driver door I can control all windows. I had to cut the power feed at the lower part of the switch that gives power to the other windows, meaning if someone is in the back seat, I have to roll the windows down from the drivers door. As soon as I hook up the power feed that I cut, that's when I get a huge power draw and and trips the circuit breaker on the fuse box. When it is hooked up all windows work then but I have the breaker tripping.

#4 ·
If it is blowing the fuse it is a short in the circuit. Could be a bad switch, or problem in the harness. It is very common for me to find shorts in the harness where they go from body to door panel. This can also cause problems with power door locks. Good luck.

#5 ·
to me, it sounds like that power wire is shorting out to some part of the truck. You need to Ohm out the wire you cut to ground, i bet it will read zero!!!

#11 ·
On a crewcab, check all the harnesses where they pass from the door to the cab, especially the rears. On my 94, I had a short between the window wiring and the courtesy light wiring right in the exposed part of the harness on the passenger rear door. They don't use wire that is flexible enough for that area. I ended up getting some decent many-stranded (more strands than existing ... its more flexible) wire and splicing new sections in (solder and heat shrink). Cheers!

#14 ·
that will do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.